Now I know ...

... why tyre fitters hate that sealant goop.

And now I hate it too.

However, got the ride-on tyre off in the end. And cleaned all the gunge off the rim. "All" I need to do now is get the new tyre on. :o(

Reply to
Huge

A couple of spoons should do it.

I changed the tyres on our ride on a few months, and one of them was full of goo :( The bigger pair of wheels were ok replacing the tyre, but the smaller ones required ingenuity. Ended up placing them on a suitably sized bit of stout plywood and used woodworking clamps to persuade the tyre over the rim bit by bit.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I think there is goo and Goo. I have been a happy user and recommended of Ultraseal (now Punctureseal) and being water soluble is no more difficult to remove from a tyre than putting a hose over it.

And the only time you would ever (normally) need to remove a tyre was when it was either worn out or damaged in such a way as to write it off (sidewall damage or major damage to the carcase) when it would be thrown away in any case.

As an aside, although Punctureseal supposed to be used preemptively, I've also used it to great success post getting a puncture and am about to do the same again on a nail hole in found in the (flat) Meriva tyre yesterday. ;-(

Talking of ride on mowers .. a mate was a gardener and a big house he used to look after had a ride-on and it was constantly (every other use) getting punctures from thorns. I put him onto Ultraseal and he got the owner to get some in and he never got a puncture again. Or, he probably did but didn't know about it. ;-)

No connection other than being a very happy user.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I gave half a bottle of Ultraseal to a neighbour to fix a puncture on his motorbike (which it did). He kindly replace the Ultraseal with something that looked similar (and is even marketed to be 'Ultraseal') and again I tried to use it on a motorcycle punctured rear tyre but it was hopeless. Proving my point that not all 'Goos' are equal.

Reply to
T i m

You aren't supposed to leave a puncture unfixed with just goo sealing it. You can't know that the tyre is safe until you take it off and look, at which point you fix it properly.

A bit pointless as you can take the tyre and have it fixed in a safe manner. The goo is only really useful as an emergency get you home fix.

Reply to
dennis

How would you know you have a puncture when the tyres have been treated the pre-emptive sealant?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Tricky when you don't know you have had a puncture though?

Or not (see above). But yes, in principal you are right.

Or have a new tyre because they can't fix it traditionally because of the location of the puncture.

Some goos are yes, and hence why I made the point of stating that not all goos are created equal.

That includes 'Contiseal' that comes pre installed on some Continental tyres and is also considered a permanent repair (if you know you had the puncture and after inspection etc).

So, back to the real world. Because of how Ultraseal / Punctureseal work, they don't fix punctures on the sidewall or where the puncture is bigger than a particular diameter or size (but it might then allow a controlled deflation). If say a nail penetrates the tyre, the sealant allows the nail to be ejected immediately (because of the lubrication), minimising the risk of further damage to the tyre (and permanently sealing the hole at the same time).

In general the only time most people know they have something stuck in their tyre is when they either hear it (although many can't seem to hear their indicator left on for 10 miles). Or the fact that their tyre is running soft and quickly heating up heading for a blow out so

*never* know that the object has penetrated the tyre, damaged a cord but not caused a leak? How often do you inspect your tyres for such damage?

Many motorcyclists (a group I have regular contact with, who rarely carry a spare wheel and for whom a puncture is more impacting than on a car) who have run with Ultraseal, especially the 'offroad' type and when replacing their tyres have often noticed several tell-tail coloured dots indicating they would have suffered several punctures.

I've run Ultraseal in most of my motorcycles and car / motorcycle trailers for *years* and never had a puncture in any of them. However, that could be that I simply never had a puncture but Ultraseal is also supposed to help cool the tyre and make it last longer but I have no way of proving that. It also seem that a tyre treated with Ultraseal also holds pressure better so it may help deal with any porosity.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fuck off and die, morons. It's a lawnmower.

Reply to
Huge

And this is from the moron who had to ask HERE how to fit a lawnmower tyre FFS!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fortunately, this is a rear (large) one.

Reply to
Huge

I used to be able to fit a new Mini tyre in 8 minutes.

- including taking the wheel off the car, and refitting it.

- without the aid of a machine

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought this was going to be a thread about old Bee Gees songs. Now I know that the world is round, and of course it rains every day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

+1
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Awww bless. Another one who simply doesn't have the ability to see the bigger picture and be able to follow the 'spirit' of a thread (*especially* one where the title is referring to 'tyre goo').

And of course 'Huge' know nothing of '... why tyre fitters hate that sealant goop' because he obviously hasn't spoken to them all and didn't qualify what sort of 'goop' it was.

Damn (left brained) droids. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You wouldn't of course (assuming it works as it is supposed):

Last night I 'treated' the punctured tyre (small nail hole in the outside row of tread blocks that probably couldn't be repaired

*traditionally* because of how much flex there would be at that point) and it sealed it instantly. There wasn't even any sign of the sealant on the outside of the tyre (I happen to know exactly where it is).

For some reason these tyres (Continental Premium Contact 5's) seem to be fairly porous and require top-up inflation more often than other tyres I've had on vehicles previously. I might treat the other front tyre with Punctureseal and see if that helps it hold full pressure for longer (the steel rim / beads were fine when I changed the tyres last time).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I read somewhere that the time to the chances of a fatality when parked up on a motorway hard shoulder is 28 minutes. ;-(

Reply to
T i m

So, umm, how come the punctured-and-sealed tyre doesn't go flat the first time you drive on a wet road?

Reply to
Adrian

Good question, because I think it cures under some circumstances:

"The Punctureseal liquid/fiber matrix repair is formed by the action of entwined fibers in the sealant being forced into the damage site by escaping air and centrifugal force. The rubber tyre simultaneously recovers to its original moulded shape, holding the repair in place. Heat and pressure set the plug, forming a positive and secure repair that remains air tight for the life of the tyre."

And that seems to be the case. When old tyres that have suffered punctures have been removed for replacement you can often see the coloured end of the 'plug' (albeit often quite small).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Daughter treated her van tyres earlier (to 30 mins total) as a puncture (or worse) would be even more inconvenient for her than me (especially with that weird Transit Connect spare wheel carrier / winch system). ;-)

Reply to
T i m