Novel soldering technique

All the ones I have here are aluminium. I assumed it was meant that enough heat on the can would transfer to the leads. Not sure how much good that would to the cap, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Odd theory. I'm sure we've all come across situations where it would be good to be able to replace a component without dismantling to get at the solder side - and you *might* be able to with a resistor etc with exposed leads. But not with a cap like that, sadly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, they so, or at least radiated heat.

No. I never tried that, only used it for connectors and the odd splice. I'd not want to use one for a PCB.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

In which case any soldering iron would do?

I have a hot air rework station. Turn the temp down on that and it's ideal for heatshrink. Actually gets used more for that than soldering. ;-)

It's one of those things I've simply never found the need for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Al can be soldered with suitable flux

You'd need the leads to hit over 220C, and the stuffing looks fairly thermally insulating. The cap would be history.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It can be welded too. Not sure I'd want to do either on a PCB. ;-)

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well if its not too tight onto the board you can usually get slim cutters or a knife under it and shear the legs off. Then solder the new cap to the legs. Makes some sense for smoothing caps on boards with heavy heat plane or power vias which can be very difficult to desolder from in the conventional way.

Reply to
John Rumm