Notch, Hole and Chase Sizes

Hi all

Reviewing Part P last night there is a reference to Part A for notch and hole sizes in joists and chases in walls. Looked through Part A and can't find any sign of this. Am I missing something here? I have found other reference on diydoctor but not "official" data.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

This is approved Document A-Structure: of the Building Regulations.

.a. notches should be within the following limits:

· no deeper than 0.125 the depth of the joist · not closer to the support than 0.07 of the span. · not further away from the support than 0.25 times the span.

b. holes should be within the following limits:

· no greater diameter than 0.25 times the depth of the joist. · made at the neutral axis (where the joist is under least tension, normally at the centreline of the joist depth). · not be less than 3 diameters (centre to centre) apart. · located between 0.25 and 0.4 times the span from the support.

Note that notches and holes are not permitted in roof rafters, to prevent damage to the roof structure.

Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

"John McLean" wrote

Thanks John

But I looked through the on-line version of Part A - 2004 and couldn't find that stuff anywhere! Which year/edition did you get these from and page number? Are my glasses in need of replacement or something?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster