Not totally OT

Been doing the Guardian X word today and I cannot get the final answer:
Clue: Gripping tool (6)
So far got _U_U_S. The 2 U's and the S are definately right (from the other intersecting words)
I am thinking along the lines of DIY/Professional tools but cannot get anything to come to mind, anybody any clues?
TIA
John
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:51:19 +0000 (UTC), "John"

Cheers - Mick

about 5 minutes.
Malc
Whoops. Replied to the wrong post. mucho apologies
-- Malc

Only thing I can think of is "AUGURS". Augur meaning a sign of what might happen in the future (whether that would be gripping is debatable), and sounding like auger.
Si

Not Wankin then

--
geoff