Not totally OT

Been doing the Guardian X word today and I cannot get the final answer:

Clue: Gripping tool (6)

So far got _U_U_S. The 2 U's and the S are definately right (from the other intersecting words)

I am thinking along the lines of DIY/Professional tools but cannot get anything to come to mind, anybody any clues?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

Start again John. 5dn is gooseflesh, 12dn is beholder --------

Cheers - Mick

Reply to
Mick Collins

Only thing I can think of is "AUGURS". Augur meaning a sign of what might happen in the future (whether that would be gripping is debatable), and sounding like auger.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The answer is PLIERS. You've got the other answers wrong. I finished it in about 5 minutes.

Malc

Reply to
Malc

"Malc" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:7qDRa.1673$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net... Whoops. Replied to the wrong post. mucho apologies