Not the usual SDS question

Having 'found' a project (repointing) that lets me justify to SWMBO why I should get an SDS drill, while perusing the Screwfix catalog one thing struck me - the maximum depth quoted for masonry drilling, even on fairly expensive drills, is often less than an inch. How is this right? Surely SDS can go deeper than that! What have I missed?
Thanks
Pete
PM wrote:

If you are reading 22mm that is the diameter of the hole nots it's depth
Cheers Jonathan

Not sure an SDS is the tool for this sort of job though.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Yeah, before you know it, you're through the to the cavity and taking bricks out on the inside!
On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 08:57:21 +0100, "PM"

Too right! ;)
Andrew

geoff

writes

That's justification for buying ear defenders...
Pete

for depth read diameter

The depth you can drill is only really limited by the length of the drill. The diameter, now, is a different matter. ;-)
If you're repointing an old house with lime mortar, I'd be careful not to rake out too much. On mine I found it easier to do by hand using a plugging chisel.
--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman wrote:

Isn't there a special angle grinder bit for this? I believe screwfix stock it.
There you are, now you can justify two toys! Regards Capitol
BillR wrote in message ...

Yebbut you don't have to justify it on here. ;-)
--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that