Not oiling a wooden worktop (kitchen)

Soooooooooooooooooooo 1960's

Reply to
fred

Ah - then it's due back...

Just waiting for orange and brown decor to resurface...

This is why fashion is bollocks. I think the real reason people sneer at old stuff is that, if you see old stuff, it's, well, old.

Back in the day everyone was happy with it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have always liked avocado toilet ware

(ducks and runs)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That combination might improve the colour ...

Reply to
Paul Herber

I suspect that, on this issue, the average husband hasn't got a forking clue either

tim

Reply to
tim.....

But that is why it comes back into fashion. To the new generations it isn't old looking,they haven't seen it before, but it is to those who experienced it first time round.

Coincidentally I was in a works canteen yesterday and the tables had a beech frame with a beech surround to the top containing red tiles. To my eyes it screamed Naff.

Mind you they also had grey ash desks in their offices. A short lived fad of 20 odd years ago.

Reply to
fred

Not IME.

Reply to
Capitol

I preferred champagne and the colour.

Reply to
Capitol

Those specs make it a very DIYable options though... especially if you have or know someone with a planer/thicknesser.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you have to be careful to clean it off the tile faces? Or can it be polished off dried like regular grout?

Reply to
Tim Watts

The solution to that is an end grain cutting board...

Reply to
John Rumm

I used it once a long time ago - I found it harder to work than regular grout, and you had to take care not to let it set too much before cleaning off the tiles - else it became a real pig to shift.

Waterproof powdered grout treated with lithofin grout protector lasts quite well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, you need to clean it off the tile faces. Some filmy residue will be left, which you can remove with a golden fleece,elbow grease and water. Ceramic floor tiles are extremely hard and without using wet and dry paper, I've never managed to scratch one with any hposehold cleaner.

Reply to
Capitol

It's very kind of you to offer John :-)

Bottom line is that I don't think I'd like the end result better than I would a good quality laminate one so for simplicity I think I will stick with that.

Reply to
fred

Doesn't it come with some beefy argonauts to help?

Seriously, *what* is a golden fleece? GINMF

Reply to
Tim Watts

Add 'cleaning' to your search term , to avoid pubs and jason and the agonauts references.

It's those yellow scouring cloth type things

Reply to
Chris French

Interesting. I prefer a light coloured formica so I can actually see what needs wiping off. Wooden surfaces don't offer that, and nor do the dark coloured immitation marble type tops. Wood may be technically better in laboratory conditions but it tends to encourage sloppiness IME.

Reply to
stuart noble

untreated wood washed down with mild bleach is peerless. Until its left wet

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IME all surfaces other than tiles and stainless will stain if coloured spills are allowed to stay on them. I was surprised to experience this with a sealed granite worktop, fortunately UV bleached out the colour.

Reply to
Capitol

You are welcome (although depending on where you are it might be a trek!)

Which is a fair point ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm