Not In Anyone's Back Yard

..an interesting concept..

The Natural Philosopher

plant-1604141.html

What could possibly go wrong?

Reply to
Adrian

Well it will be relatively tsunami-proof for a start, as long as it is moored in deep water.

Reply to
newshound

Oh lots, but the basic thing is that it goes wrong where its not going to do any harm,

Just sink the thing :-)

In deep water fish ALREADY glow in the dark!

The bit I liked the most is the utter self contained nature. So much seawater you can use passive cooling, and it probably wouldn't have a grid connection at AC at a;ll, just feed a big DC line. So if the grid goes its still got enough power to run itself.

And even if it hasn't, with passive cooling it just shuts down.

Hard to reach esp. by greenpeace and other terrorists, and what could they do anyway? cause alarm and panic 20 miles out to sea?

Modular built and towed into place, so cheap. No planning permission of the local variety.

Store spent fuel rods in seawater ponds, or make fresh water by desalination using waste heat. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought the US Cole showed terrorists don't all fear boats. And I'm sure they could hire some Somali pirates to help out.

Can't they then blow up the reactor when the wind is on-shore? Even if they don't release much nasty stuff they'd get the panic.

Reply to
Robin

So, I suggested ages ago that the Submarines Nuclear reactors could be repurposed offshore to be used for power generation. Nobody took me seriously. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm, just think you could set up a pirate radio station on it to make extra money. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Given a long enough flex, it could be towed where the need for power was at a particular time and 'plugged in' to the local grid :)

Mind you it could be hijacked or stolen in the same way !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Russians do that already - some of their nuclear icebreakers are sailed to where power is needed in Siberia and plugged in.

Not worth a lot second hand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about a whole new country with offshore banking?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gare Loch?

Owain