Not all radiators emptying when draining central heating system

In order to add an Inhibitor to my houses central heating system, I've attempted to drain the rads using a drain off c*ck near to the boiler on the ground floor, opening radiator vents on the first floor. That worked OK ( air being sucked into the vents ) so I tried the ground floor rads but they continued to have +ve pressure with water dribbling out of the vents.

This was still the case even though the water stopped flowing from the drain off c*ck - but the radiator vents are about a foot above it.

I'm probably making a beginers mistake but can't understand why these rads didn't also at least partially empty through the drain off c*ck.

I had stopped water refilling the header tank using it's input stop c*ck in the loft.

Eventually I gave up and finished the job without draining the ground floor radiators which I hope was OK given I was just trying to get the inhibitor into the system. But I would like to be able to drain the whole system for future maintenance jobs. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Phil

Reply to
phil

B&Q sell identical-looking valves to this and they do drain the radiators, which is why I fitted them last time I had the system drained.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Ta! I'll have a look next time I'm in B&Q - and maybe buy one from Screwfix to check out, next time I need 45-quid's worth of anything.

Reply to
Set Square