North facing house?

I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a hill facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Without knowing the area, how do you expect anyone to be able to advise you? Go along and visit at different times of day then you'll know.

If it's on the North side of the Malvern Hills, the answer is no it will always be in shadow. The same applies if it is on the south bank of the rhine near the Lorelei.

If you want a specific answer you will need to give some facts.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It will depend on the time of year. CIBSE Guide for latitude of 50N gives a solar elevation at 1500hrs of 18 degrees on Feb 21 and 46 degrees on June 21

Reply to
Tony Bryer

this is the house..

that any use? what else do you need to know?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

If you're really serious, put the image from Google Earth into Google Sketchup and turn the shadows on. It gives you a pretty good idea how the light will fall at different times of the day/year. If the back of the house is south facing, and that's where your kitchen and garden are located, that's a bonus I would have thought

Reply to
Stuart Noble

house is at - Lat 53.0766° Long -2.00393°

Back of house is facing north towards the nice view, front of house faces the steep driveway up the hill immediately in front of it.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Ah, nicely on the steep north facing slope. However it doesn't appear to be _that_ steep, so it should be ok. How's the vegetation there?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Probably more than enough. Well, I used to live up that way, so I know that you'll rarely see the sun anyway since it rains 340 days a year and for rest of the year it's foggy. The house looks like it's a fair way up the hill so I guess that the rear of the house will get sun from mid morning onwards and the front wall will be in shadow until late evening.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The message from "Mr Sandman" contains these words:

I live on a North facing slope the best part of a degree further North. I don't think my slope is quite as steep as yours and in winter the sun doesn't get very far above the skyline. But 3 pm is closer to sunset than noon and we are only 6 weeks past mid winter. Those trees might make a difference but I don't think they are high enough up the slope to obscure the skyline. My skyline at the moment is a field wall. If they ever build on that field I would certainly lose my winter sunshine.

Be a bit different in mid summer. Apart from anything else the sun will rise in the NE and set in the NW and, weather permitting, you should see it from sunrise to sunset.

Reply to
Roger

I agree.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Roger,

thanks for your useful post. My current house is pretty much square with clear views all round, so have not really had any problems with sunlight. But its worth considering when purchasing a new house... I'm also looking at a south facing house on a hill...the slope behind the house is much less steep too, so i presume this will be a step closer to ideal.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

In article , geoff writes

Then how about staying off usenet when you're in that kind of mood.

I doubt you'd walk into a dodgy pub and start talking to strangers like that so why do it here?

Reply to
fred

What's the problem with this question ? It's obvious the OP doesn't think he will be living in an arctic winter with no daylight ! The answer is, you may always be in shadow in a winter sun, when the sun is very low in the sky (depending on angle and height of hill). In the summer, when the sun is very high, you would have to be living next to a vertical cliff to have any chance of being in permanent shadow. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I assume that you know about the nuclear waste dump?

Reply to
mike

Very drole...

I found it in the map. What a fabulous location apart from being on the north side of that little hill.

You will certainly get summer sun, but the gardening side of things will always be colder and later, and your heating bills will be a shade higher.

How much that matters to you is only something you can answer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , fred writes

Look the eejit posted like a f****it

maybe next time he'll think first

Reply to
geoff

In article , geoff writes

Ah, unrepentant I see.

Remember that 'So I'm offensive' thread you started in December, try starting it again tonight and see if you get the same vote of confidence.

Personally I've no wish to see this group become dominated by sharp tongued bullies.

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

unrepentant ?

oh do f*ck off

Reply to
geoff

In article , geoff writes

And articulate too I see. Still, while you're venting your self loathing here at least you're not able take it out on people in the real world.

Nitee.

Reply to
fred

I was wondering why all this s**te was cramming my inbox, till I realised that I've lost all my filters after a disk crash.

That Drivel, Firth and 'Geoff' in now.

Phew that will improve the quality of life.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher