None DIY day

I have two guys happily pumping expanding foam into our cavity walls today, they spent all yesterday drilling holes and cutting out air bricks. No noticeable smell as yet!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Watch out for free insulation of the space underneath your bath. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Muddymike scribbled...

Foam ! Why not poly balls ?

Reply to
Jabba

I have poly balls in the loft (!"$%^& things) which (from here) leaches out the plasticiser in cable making it brittle.

Reply to
brass monkey

In message , Muddymike writes

Wait a while until they work up a sweat.

Reply to
Bill

Muddymike scribbled...

They would have been a lot cheaper as would blown fibre but sadly the outer stone skin makes for a very uneven cavity so only foam will work properly. Apparently the 2 x 40 gallon drums of chemical they have with them won't be enough and they are hoping another two will arrive today direct from the manufacturer.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

They should never have been used in a loft for that reason - is it a very old installation of polyballs?

The cavity wall guys should check there are no cables in the cavities for the same reason...

This should be: dash-dash-space

VV

Reply to
Tim Watts

Blimey what have you got, a fort?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Blimey what have you got, a fort?

Sadly the extra chemical didn't arrive so work stopped about 3:30 yesterday. The main house is done and we already notice the difference Traffic noise is much less noticeable and we didn't hear the town hall alarm going off at

10:30 last night.

They have emptied this and the other it mixes with.

This is how they stop it running out.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

If they're still there could you ask them how to get foam out of carpet?

I was filling holes in the bedroom and the foam squirted through to the lounge.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They used a chemical to clean up, sorry I don't know what it was and they have gone now.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Never saw owain's post for some reason?!

Have you tried

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

CWI in uneven stone cavities has resulted in damp problems at times.

completely illogical. I'd go for poly bead as if there is any damp problem resulting, the beads are easily removed. No other insulation is - and foam especially not. If foam goes wrong in a lumpy cavity you're looking at rebuilding the walls.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Good job I have an installers warranty then.

Your logic is not shared by the home insulation grant people. Poly beads or blown fibre, not recommended and no grant available. This system £4200 grant towards it!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

fwiw

Foam fill gives higher insulation than bead, as it doesnt leave lots of gap s

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What was the actual cost of it?

Reply to
mogga

£5,400 plus 5% VAT I paid £1260 which was what remained after the grant plus 5%.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Someone's getting rich

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Which grant is that, please? Can't seem to see much beyond the Green Deal . . .

Reply to
RJH

googlegroups?

Now all I have to hope is that the carpet isn't the same polywatsit as the foam.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog