Non-stick frying pan

Hello all.

Thanks for your answers. This is what I intend to do _in the first instance_: Wash the pan thoroughly in hot water only. Dry thoroughly with some kitchen towel. Put in enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat to a reasonably high heat. Drain. Wipe with some kitchen towel, while still hot.

P.S. I didn't return the pan to Sainsbury as I didn't believe that it was actually faulty; but I was disappointed with its performance (or lack of it). P.P.S. I don't do enough frying to warrant getting a cast iron one.

A Happy Christmas to you all.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

That procedure is only used for a new Wok that does NOT have a non-stick coating. Heating up oil in a non-stick pan will have no effect as the actual inside is already coated. If performance is "poor" try increasing the heat. It all depends what you are cooking of course. If you think that the heat isn't reaching the inside of the pan due to a defective base, stick your hand in and see if it is hot!

Reply to
john

It will be very hot... I don't think you need a great deal of oil either just enough to "wet" the pan. ISTR that you need to keep adding bit of oil, heating, wiping off until the oil comes of clean not black or discoloured. Choice of oil is important as well, you need one that will take a fairly high temperature like sunflower or peanut, not olive.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

heavy pans dont make good fryers, eg glass and cast iron, as with frypans one needs to be able to reduce the heat fairly quickly, not 5 minutes later. Heavies are great for sauce making.

Arc sprayed nonstick coatings are a good deal more robust.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The pan is definitely getting hot. I'm fond of fried egg sandwiches: I find that when I put some oil in the pan, it will not "spread" across its surface, but migrate to the edge/s. I therefore have to break the eggs on these small pools of oil, as if they hit the hot _dry_ surface of the pan, they will stick. Butter seems to work better.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I did use some olive oil this time. But I also have some rapeseed oil; will that do? Also, I don't want to damage the coating with too much heat.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Then it's not a non-stick pan. Adrienne on QVC is always cracking eggs into her dry cook's essentials pans and they never stick. Metal utensil safe and lifetime guarantee, too...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm reluctant to get rid of that Sainsbury pan; as it still works more or less, and I don't use it a lot. Mind you, it would be nice if it worked better. I watch the two shopping channels on Freeview TV (QVC and Ideal World), and from time to time one has a really good frying pan on offer made by "Cooks Essentials". A lot of time and effort is taken to demonstrate this item (and all others), and that pan performs 100% even without oil. Metal utensils can be used, and that pan has a lifetime warranty.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE