Non-stick - flaking off ...

So I have a bunch of loaf tins that were non-stick, but after a shockingly low period of use they coating is coming off. They were cheap, tins, so I guess I paid for what I got...

However - wondering now about getting one of those wire brushes that fit to a dril (or my angle grinder!) and finishing the job off, then seasoning them the old fashioned way by burning oil into them...

Anyone done this? What could possibly go wrong...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I did it with an expensive cast iron frying pan many years ago. With the tighter radii in a loaf tin I think you would have trouble with a brush. Not worth it IMHO, throw them away (or save them for soaking things in paint stripper, solvent, or penetrating oil in the workshop).

Reply to
newshound

Just use them with parchment liners.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It's too fiddly for bread dough, doing 6 a day. Also a lot of my breads that I put in the tins are overnight in the fridge, so the parchment would get all soggy and would stick to the bread anyway.

Looks like I might bin them.. Ah well...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I've not had oiled paper go soggy, and it doesn't stick much, but it does take time to line.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

You can get preformed liners IIRC, but it would seem to make more sense to just buy some decent new tins, given the use Gordon gives them

Reply to
Chris French

Oil tasting bread? :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

meh, money

Trouble is there's no such thing as decent, nonstick and metal coinciding. And if you don't go nonstick you'll want lining. The one option that solves this now is silicone. But how well they last I've no idea so far.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We've some metal non stick baking tins that have lasted a number of years and the non stick is fine. What seems to knacker non stick coatings in too much heat (moslty with frying pans) and scratching and abrasions- which is down to appropriate care and use really.

We have some items of silicone bakeware, I've not been impressed with it. It's fine at first but soon seems to lose some of it's non stick performance, I also find the awkward to wash.

We even got the first lot replaced as I was not impressed with thelose of non stickness, but the replacements were just the same.

Reply to
Chris French

I have use some Le Creuset stainless steel pans on induction hobs and whilst not perfectly non stick, they are actually quite well behaved for a lot of cooking, with all the advantages that they last for ever because you can scrub 'em properly. Bloody expensive but when I think of the number of other pans that I've thrown away because the non stick fell off...

I do have one Le Creuset large flat bottomed non stick wok and that works well, but it's too early (year) to give it a fair rating for longevity.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've just ordered some tins which have a hard glazed silicone finish and some from a bakery I trust which has a newer type of non-stick too, so we'll see.

I also have some Silverwood aluminium tins which work very well - when used with a commercial release spray - I use that spray on the other tins too.

What I think might be the issue with the "flakey" tins is that I often keep them in the fridge overnight with rye sourdough in them - which is somewhat more acidic than the usual bread dough that might only be in it for an hour or so before baking. (I make about a dozen of these loaves a week)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

By decent I mean last many decades & work well. Nonstick just doesn't

of course. In practice its very difficult to ensure no-one else mistreats them for decades. Hence in reality they're too often short lived. I've given up on nonstick.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1. cast iron or stainless for frying pans. Sure stuff sticks sometimes, but you can scour them clean...

Bread tins? Oil and flour them. They wont stick.

And even non stick will stick without that oil and flour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stainless seems to be about the best for pans, and they aren't expensive. It can still be ruined though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The other thing that helps is massive thick bases - get that by default for induction, but I have 4 pans - those 3 SS in 3 sizes and one non stick. That's all I need. I do not need milk pans, casserole pans, and all manner of other things that my mum had.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have to agree about the modern stuff - it's junk. But I have some old (34 and 31 years) three saucepan sets of a cheap brand (Miller? Merrill? Something like that) bought from Argos in the early 80s. Those saucepans which haven't seen metal kitchen spoons, whisks, etc are almost perfect. They are of only fairly thin aluminium construction, but compared with modern heavy-based "quality" branded stuff they knock spots of it.

I'd be interested in seeing comparisons between different brands of non-stick frying pans used, for example, to fry 100 eggs on the trot, at various temperatures with and without a little oil, and with no cleaning between each use. Despite the claims, I'll bet those used without oil at anything other than low to moderate heat would soon have the eggs sticking to them.

I haven't, but consider it almost expendable these days.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have used this liner sheet for some years with great success, mainly on oven trays, but also in tins.

So, no need to buy expensive bakeware, and cheap to cut a new sheet when it eventually wears out.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Whatever happened to Armourcote?

Had one of those pans for several decades. It really didn't stick, ever

Reply to
stuart noble

SS steel pans need to have thick bases (sandwiched with Aluminium normally) as SS is a relatively poor conductor of heat.

Less of an issue with Al frying pans - though thin bases aren't good.

We have a variety of sauce/frying pans here - plain aluminium, heavy aluminium nonstick, cast iron, le crueset enamelled cast iron, plain stainless.

For frying I prefer either the cast iron, or non stick aluminium, nothing fancy, just a decent al non stick pan. Sure they have a tend to have a limited life, because sooner or later someone will over heat it or something, or not clean them properly etc. but I still prefer them for a lot of frying. I never get on with plain stainless steel or aluminium

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Gordon Henderson writes

I've got a couple of Mermaid hard anodised roasting trays, which are great, though not non stick (expensive, though I picked these up cheap). I wonder how bread tins would be?

Reply to
Chris French