Non-standard shower screen for bath

I have a bath which is installed in a corner of the bathroom such that one side and the tap end are against walls. I wish to add a shower fitting which can used when standing up in the bath. The plumbing is relatively straightforward because both hot and cold are at mains pressure (non-vented cylinder), so we're not into electric showers or booster pumps.

The problem is that the ceiling slopes down at the tap end so that there is not enough headroom to stand up comfortably at that end, and certainly not enough wall height to get the shower head at the desired height. [Piccy here:

] The shower thus needs to go at the *other* end of the bath - where there is a side wall but no end wall. I would thus need some sort of shower screen along the back of the bath, and partially along the side remote from the wall. The end part would need to support the riser mechanism for the shower head (the actual mixing valve could be on the existing side wall). That part of the screen which extends forward along the side of the bath would need to fold out of the way when the bath is being used as a bath rather than as a shower.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to how this might be achieved?

TIA.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You might not want to do this but you could build a false wall at the end of the bath and the plumbing could run within the wall. You could then fit a shower screen against the wall/along the side of the bath . I did this years ago when fitting an electric shower so that the shower went at the tap end as there was no wall at either of the bath short ends.

Does the base of the bath at that end slope in the usual fashion ...I was wondering if it was OK to stand at that end while showering. Might be more suitable if the bath was reversed ?

Reply to
Sea Monkey

Meant to ask how much room there is between bath and basin ?

Reply to
Sea Monkey

Something akin to that may well be the solution. I'm planning (subject to Listed Building Consent) to build a stud wall across the bathroom anyway, just at the far side of the basin. This is in a holiday flat which I have just bought and, as can probably be seen from the photo, the bedroom leads off the bathroom - so I want to move the wall of the bathroom to provide independent access to the bedroom.

I *could* then swap the positions of the bath and basin so that the bath would butt up to the new wall - which could have the plumbing for the shower inside it, as you suggest. The only problems with that are: a) We might fall over the bog while standing at the basin, and b) I would probably have to raise the bath to get adequate fall on its outlet pipe - which discharges through the wall at the tap end.

So I would at least like to consider leaving the bath and basin in their current positions, and finding a way to install a shower at the 'basin' end of the bath - hence my original question.

[To answer the question in your second post, there is about 120mm between bath and basin].

The bath *does* slope, but quite steeply - the bottom being flat until almost the end. I have a very similar bath here in my main home, with a shower on the wall at the opposite end from the taps, and that works perfectly well. When you stand at the end of the flat bit, you're in the right place to use the shower.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That was the situation we were in until the bathroom refurbishment. The plumber asked if we wanted the bath reversing. I kick myself every time I have a shower now. If I am facing the shower, the water and soap bounce off me and go towards the shower end of the bath and leave soapy water under the feet. Before, the shower head was at the opposite end of the bath to the taps and water flowed and took the soapy stuff from under the feet.

Something to consider.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You could use an all-round curtain and rail and possibly fix the shower riser to the side wall. My 'temporary' rail worked very well for about three years - picture here:

actually included a short riser rail for the shower head built in to the actual rail - hidden by the curtain in the picture. The whole rail was made from 22mm copper pipe and standard fittings.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Shower Curtains are the spawn of the devil...sticking to your skin as soon as you get within an inch of them ..

Reply to
Sea Monkey

Bernoulli's principle AIUI. Ye canna change the laws of physics Jim.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yeh but it keeps the cat off the side of the bath when you want a soak

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Recently I paid an excess to get a new indscreen using my Abbey Debit card but a few minutes after paying it discovered that the 3rd Party had admitted liabilty so I needn't have paid the excess .My insurers said they would get Autoglass to refund the payment to my card but Autoglass sent a cheque so I now need to take a trip to Abbey to lodge it .

Today I phoned the Council about a payment of Council Tax I had overpaid and they also said they would send a cheque as that was what they did ..and it might be next week before I get it so that's another trip to the bank .

Cheques are getting phased out so they'll need to change their practices but is there any logical reason why refunds should not be put back on the card from whence they came ?

Reply to
Sea Monkey

Tried my Mondeo washers the other day after filling up the bottle but very little came out the jets ...I then realised it was probably same thing as what had happened a couple of years ago so looking at the front bumper confirmed this ...fluid spewing on to the road ...the tubing had popped off the pump . Not a clever design point having it placed where it is behind the bumper/headlight area .

Any Mondeo owners know ways of preventing this freezing .

Reply to
Sea Monkey

Are you in the right thread - or even in the right *Newsgroup*?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger .Could you check your e-mail please even tho you say it isn't checked often.

Reply to
Sea Monkey