Non-standard high voltage supplies, was Re: How essential dust shutters on wall socket?

On 5/5/09 00:28, in article gtntmd$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org, "Graham."

It's certainly an unusual transformer, if that's what it is, I've never seen one like it .

Parts of Croydon are still supplied at 6.6 kV; I think the College I work at > is, though the new transformer which was installed in the substation about > a year ago, but is still waiting for its supply to be connected up, is 11 > kV. I believe 6.6 kV was quite common at one time, though now regarded as > obsolete. There's a substation between the College and the railway line > which I think supplies our one, and that certainly puts out 6.6 kV, and I > think it may be fed at 22 kV; another uncommon Voltage in this Country now, > though quite a number of substations on the London Underground use it.
20 kV is used quite a bit in the North-East, especially for overhead lines, it was established by the old 'Newcastle Electricity Supply Co.' before nationalisation, as is 66 kV for parts of the regional grid there, they had the highest voltage in use before the original 132 kV National Grid.

Leicester, where I live now, still has a lot of 6.6 kV, with huge two- storey substations in the older parts of the city. Anybody know much about these?

Reply to
alexander.keys1

alexander.keys1