non-rebated door frames

is it trendy to fit these things?

can any competent joiner nail on a 'rebate' and then hang the doors

or do these abortions have to be ripped out and normal (i.e. rebated) door frames fitted?

--

Gill Smith

Dunno - I'm not sure I'd recognise one if it bit me.

Care to clarify - preferably with a picture?

To me rebated/non-rebated in the context of doors is more about having or not having a lip on each leaf so they fit together, nothing to do with the frames.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You'd need to show us what you're referring to. There are various ways to simplify door framing, and thus reduce its cost, and these are occasionally seen on old buildings.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

don't have a camera. so words will have to do!

OK, when you stand in front of door that opens towards you

when opened, you'll notice that all around the door frame there is a 1/4 to

1/2 inch wide wooden 'rebate' projecting into it, against which the door is shut

hope that makes it clearer, if not let me know, as the fault is mine (I used to be a a technical author....)

--

Gill Smith

this is modern stripped pine

(fitted by an old-fashioned d-i-y bodger)

--

Gill Smith

Oh, the slamming strip.

What's wrong? Don't all doorframes have one of those?

If you're complaining about them being removeable, I'm jolly glad they are. When the door warps or the frame shifts for some reason (and even in the best regulated world they do from time to time) then you only have to prise off the slamming strip and carefully nail it back to match the door. Repaint and it looks and works just fine.

Reply to
Skipweasel

That's a "door stop" by the sound of it. I don't think I've ever lived in a house without them - is there another way???

Reply to
Tim Watts

Even in our 1930s built house the internal doors mostly have nailed on door stop. Only the oak frames from the hall way and the outside doors seem to have a rebated frame.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Yes. Most of my internal door frames are rebated. That is, there is a step in the thickness of the frame - for the door to shut against - rather than a nail-on strip.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It would probably qualify as "normal" in most building work these days.

No, to do it right, you have to hang the door first, then fit the stops!

See:

or do these abortions have to be ripped out and normal (i.e. rebated) door

IME they are acceptable - especially if you don't use the supplied skimpy stops. There is nothing stopping you from making your own and having a greater width, and/or a profiled rear edge to them if you want something a little more ornate. If doing fire doors, then you will need custom stops anyway since they need to be 25mm deep.

The big advantage of them is that you can make a very good fit to the door, even if the door is slightly out of true. Also easier if you want to change the way the door opens or the side it is hung etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Same thing applies if the latch decides to fall apart, which effectively locks the door. They always fail in the shut position.

Removable strips make it easy to get to the latch bolt & spring it open. Rebated frame & its out with the Bosch multitool.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think the OP is saying that he prefers a rebated frame to a nail on strip.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is Gill a girls name?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Which is wasteful and less versatile. As it happens we have them in this house and I wish we didn't - over the years things have moved about a bit and some of the doors don't fit as well as I'd like. With a separate slamming strip this would be easy to fix.

Reply to
Skipweasel

All the frames in our 1935 house are rebated, except the ones to the second toilet and the box room - and those are because I moved the boxroom door backwards, to fit the toilet door before it at 90 degrees and I made up my own frames to match our odd sized doors.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Door stop? Slam strip? Is this some regionalism I've never encountered before? I call them door jams, and if building a odd-sized door frame from scratch (usually loft hatches, etc.) I fix them on after handing the door.

Also, surely a rebate is a depression /into/ the surrounding material? You chisel out a rebate. If it sticks out it's a tenon or relief.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

IME Jam usually refers to the whole side of the frame, rather than just the bit the door closes against...

Is rebate cut out of the frame for the door to be set into.

Reply to
John Rumm

I try not to slam doors, and try to instill the same practice in others.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I *did*

I see the advantages of nail on strip now

especially when you want to change a door from opening inwards to openning outwards....

--

Gill Smith

girl's and boys have the same names these days....

--

Gill Smith