Non-RCD Radial Socket Feed

Hi Electric Gurus

Reading through a post today about using an immersion heater socket for other loads got me thinking....

Previously, I have seen it suggested (and was considering myself) that a separate radial 2.5mm feed - with 20A MCB at the CU - could be run to the kitchen to cover fridge/freezer, boiler and possibly alarm circuit. The idea being that this radial would non-rcd protected side of a split CU. The responder to the previous post seems to imply that a socket "may" require RCD protection to satisfy Part P (or the latest IEE regs).

So, the question is:

Can a radial feed by supplied to a kitchen (special location) without RCD protection for supplying the above utilities and still satisfy all regs? As this work is part covered by a building notice, the option to disregard Part P does not apply (not that I would consider anything unsafe).

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Assuming that you are not on a TT installation (where some level of RCD protection will be required for all circuits), then it just comes down to the likelihood of a socket being used to power equipment that may be used outside. So if you fit a single socket for the fridge, and the other stuff is hard-wired into FCUs etc then there is little chance that someone is going to unplug the fridge to run their lawn mower.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep, no problem. I've got a 2.5mm radial (should have been a ring but the numpty who did the job dropped a bollock) on a 20A MCB that feeds the boiler, the oven (max load 2.3kW) and the fridge/freezer, all passed by the local BCO Part P police.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed.

Indeedy.

And if it is desirable to have the fridge socket RCD'd, it can be done with a socket having an integral RCD, that way the fridge has local RCD protection but is not subjected to nuisance tripping of the CU RCD.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Owain" wrote

Nice (obvious but not to me) idea! Thanks Owain

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster