Non RCD Fridge socket

I would like to install a radial socket for my fridge, that is not connected to an RCD, just a 20A MCB

If I mount the socket on the surface, and run plastic conduit, I understand this is OK for the 17th and if I wish to flush the socket into the wall, I need to protect the cable - I assume this protection needs to be earthed. if so, would steel capping like this

be OK, (with an earth tail riveted on, with a criped eyelet like this
and then the other end of the tail connected to the earth terminal in the socket?

I know about Part-P

Thanks!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

A 16 A MCB would be OK for a single or double socket for a fridge and/or freezer.

Yes - any surface wiring method is OK (provided it's suitable for the environment). The socket must be clearly labelled with its dedicated purpose - e.g. "For fridge/freezer only"

No, steel capping does not provide sufficient mechanical protection to prevent penetration by nails or screws etc. and earthing it is not considered practicable. Your options are to use earthed steel conduit, mechanical protection with something like 3 mm mild steel strip (earthing not required if used over T&E cable), or one of the prescribed cable types such as a cable to BS 8436 (e.g. Flexishield

pyro or even SWA.

But why bother? Use an RCBO instead of the MCB. Nuisance tripping will simply not be a problem unless you have a circuit or appliance fault.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Fair point, that will save a lot of hassle...why didn't I think of that!!

Toby..

Reply to
Toby