Non-BG boiler service plans?

Hi,
As it's coming up to winter my partner is concerned about the health of our 2 year old boiler and CH system. It already looks as if it's leaking slowly as it seems to need topping up on a monthly basis.
She wants to go onto the Scottish Gas 3 star plan but I have grave reservations about this as I seem to recall them being "best of friends" with Watchdog a number of years ago. Unsurprisingly, a quick search on the internet and in the google archives has uncovered a litany of complaints against them.
However, if I am to persuade my partner not to just go straight to BG for our servicing needs I need to come up with alternatives. Can anyone recommend any reasonable alternative service plans?
Also...what questions should we be asking of prospective service companies prior to signing on the dotted line?
cheers, RM

The problem with any insurance is that the insurance company gets a 50% cut and only 50% is used for the benefit of policy holders. Insuring for likely events is, therefore, a very bad idea. It is much more efficient to pay directly. Insurance should only be bought for unlikely events with severe consequences that can't otherwise be covered. Otherwise, you are almost guaranteed to lose money through the deal in the long run.
Christian.

I'd find out where the leak is first. What pressure are you topping it up to? We get ours done by a local gas fitter. Form memory we pay 35-40 + vat. Jon Jon
Jon wrote:

Is that price for the topping up or the leak detection?
Topping up is very simple with our boiler and doesn't require an engineer but it's just happening too darn regularly of late.
Leak or no leak, my partner is still wanting to sign up to a service plan though.
RM

The service.

Yes - you will have a filler loop, but the water is going somewhere.

Ours leaked soon after we replaced the existing plumbing with a Megaflo. The pipes all ran through the floors (concrete). The leaks were detected by letting it leak for about 3 months then inspecting the post of each door frame for rot, and then digging up the floors and following the dampness. All the leaks were at 'T' junctions in the pipework. The pipes could be detected by feeling for warm patches on the floor. Another way of detecting leaks in solid floors is by keeping the room doors shut for a few days. The smelliest room is the one containg the leak. If you have floorboards, try taking a few up at the base of the radiators and at junction areas (landings + hallways).
Best of luck, Jon

Isn't Scottish Gas the same as British Gas? If you go to http://www.gas.co.uk/ you'll see the British Gas logo morph into Scottish Gas and then back again every 4 seconds or so.
Also http://www.uswitch.com/Info/scottish_gas.asp (turns out there's also Nwy Prydain in Wales!) and http://www.zyra.org.uk/britgas.htm

Does your boiler manufacturer not have an extended service agreement. Our new Ariston boiler came with a two year makers guarantee that could be topped up to five years for 195 for labour and parts via Domestic & General. After doing extensive research on repair costs when our old boiler was on it's last legs the best company was Contract Heating (0131-467-7875) as they have a fixed repair charge no matter how long the job takes rather than an hourly rate. They have costed it on the basis that they will do most repairs in twenty minutes. Derek.