Non-bathroom light in bathroom

Hi,

I've just seen this in B&Q:

need something like this in the bathroom, and I like the styling of this particular one. However, on the website it doesn't mention suitability for bathrooms.

What risks am I running by installing it (I'm talking about real risks, as opposed to a busy-body from the council telling me off)? It's quite a big room, and it will be well away from the bath.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

It would be permitted in Zone 3 (greater than 60cm horizonally from bath and shower) or outside zones (greater than 3m high). It will require earth bonding to the other bonded metalwork in the room, and to the earth conductors of any other circuits used in the room (as well as the lighting circuit, obviously).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

I put mine up this evening - I recommend it! Very stylish for 45 quid. I've got it pointing at the mirror above the basin for the benefit of laydees painting their faces (and me shaving mine). 200 watts is probably a bit too bright to be honest, I've just come in from a couple of drinks and it's fair given me a headache, I think I'll change to 50 watt bulbs to 35 watt ones. I like it so much I'm planning on getting one for the kitchen.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Yes, I've just put 7 downlighters in a kitchen and that's a tad bright too. Though rather than replace the bulbs, I think I'll just add a dimmer.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:39:28 -0700, Martin Pentreath mused:

I always prefer to fit dimmers so when you want it brighter you can have it brighter. You can get a dimable ullswitch or you could move the switch to outside the bathroom and use a normal dimmer.

Reply to
Lurch

Do GU10 lamps shatter into hot bits of glass if you splash them? That is the biggest risk for lamps in bathrooms IMO. That and getting hit by someone swinging a towel a bit enthusiastically (been there, done that, healing nicely)

Reply to
dennis