Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator)

As this is a slightly different topic, I thought I'd start a new thread.

After me thinking that the radiator was noisy, but subsequently found that by turning the trv slightly, the noise or vibration stops.

Now, I have found that just by lightly squeezing? the body of the trv the noise/vibration stops. Also when doing this I could here a slight hissing noise either in the pipe or trv, and when a slightly turned the trv control, both the noise or vibration, and the slight hissing stopped.

I also found that the slight hissing sound changed in sound level as I turned the trv control, and the more I turned it the sound decreased to a stop.Conversely the more I turned the trv control the other way, the hissing sound became more pronounced or louder.

Reply to
Bob H

Do you mean the head (plastic) rather than the body (metal)?

As you gradually close the valve, the water is forced through a smaller hole, so the sound will change.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes,I do mean the head, not the body.

Reply to
Bob H

Bob H wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The slightest movement at the cut-off stage will make a difference. Water is possibly being forced through a gap of a few thousands of an inch.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I get this occasionally in a pressurised system and it has always been cured by bleeding the offending radiator.

Reply to
no_spam

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Or it might just be that holding/squeezing the head is damping the sound?

Reply to
Chris French

Our studio has a radiator like that, we call it hissing sid. My guess is that its turbulance in the hot water squeezing by the valve or tap or whatever is adjustable. It needs a very delicate touch to get it just right! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:m1jgh4$spe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Of course - the noise is caused by it beginning to close - or open so in a way it is something that should not be avoided by turning it up or down.

Reply to
DerbyBorn