Noisy shower after pressure increase

I've recently replaced my hot water system for a heatbank based system, so I've now got mains pressure water everywhere.

As the mains in our house has a static pressure of around 7 bar, I fitted a pressure reducing valve on the rising main, which I've set to around 2 bar.

Since this change my Mira thermostatic shower, which is around a year old, makes a horrible whining sound when it's running. I can stop it for a few seconds by adjusting the flow, but it soon comes back. I also put a flow restrictor in the flexible pipe between the shower and the head as it could take your skin off on full whack, but this didn't make any difference to the noise.

Any ideas on what would be causing this? Should I contact Mira and try to get them to replace it?

Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
Bodgit

In message , Bodgit writes

I think it's probably too high a pressure still for it.

We had a Mira Excel Thermostatic shower that I fitted when we installed a combi in the old house. It did exactly this. I fitted a PRV in the (IIRC) cold feed to the shower.

Alternatively, i wonder if reducing the flow rate to the shower might work? If we turned on the bathroom handbasin cold tap while having a shower it stopped the whining.

If you have the manual for the shower it does mention the whining in there,

Reply to
chris French

On 24/07/2007 13:45, Bodgit wrote

Originally you had to change from a low pressure (yellow?) to high pressure cartridge, the new purple cartridge can be adjusted between load and high presures, I think there's a PDF on the Mira website.

My original nozzle came with an alternative spray plate wit larger holes which give higher flow and presumable reduce the backpressure to the mixer.

It's a Mira Excel it should be rated for continual pressure of 5 bar.

Andy Burns

bar. It doesn't mention anything about alternative cartridges or anything like that.

Reply to
Bodgit

sorry, there was an "if" missing at the start of that

Reply to
Andy Burns

Since Mira is based in Cheltenham, and there is no water there at the moment, you may not be top priority.

Mark

On the other hand, if you offer them a cuppa and the opportunity of a shower if they fix it, the entire workforce might come round pronto!

Owain

Reply to
Owain