Noisy gutters in the sun

Now my plastic gutters have been up for some years, and I had them done by a professional. OK they tend to crackle a little bit in the sun, but just recently the crackling is more like loud cracks at variable intervals and if I'm attempting to catch up on sleep during the day its very um awakening. Is there anything I can do to quieten them?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Angle grinder.

Mr Pounder

Glue them together

The Natural Philosopher

Angle grinders would keep Brian awake even more than creaking gutters, I'd suggest. :-)

You need either to stop them sliding one against another - e.g. (as TNP suggests, glue them) - or allow sliding to occur without creaking. Maybe disassemble and put some silicone grease on them?

Other possibility is that the temperature difference is greater simply because they are covered > Angle grinder.

polygonum

Pop it out of the clips and put a light smear of silicone grease on the clip face. Open all the joints and also put on a light smear of silicone grease on the rubber seal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oil them. The clips onto the soffit should allow the thermal expansion of the gutters . Do not glue them to the gutter as the gutter will want to expand, it can't if glued, so the gutter will buckle . Lubricate the clip/gutter interface. The recent increase in volume could be caused by the sun heating the gutter more (is it black because it needs cleaning)or due to any previous lubrication becoming worn out over time. Oil is being a bit flippant perhaps silicone or similar.

C.F. Sticti> Now my plastic gutters have been up for some years, and I had them done by a

Reply to
soup

Brian Gaff pretended :

When they were new, they would have slid noiselessly. Now they are a little older, they are a older they are sticking and suddenly releasing with a bang. As others have said, they need some form of lubricant to allow them to slide more easily.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

I think gluing them would make them buckle, rather than slide. I would start simple, and try dribbling a little 3-in-1 or similar inside the gutter, at the joints. With a little luck, the oil will find a way into the joints, and stop the noise.

Reply to
News

JOOI, is each section of gutter normally anchored firmly to the roof bracket along the mid-point of its length? Our gutters are made from 16' sections, and the total expansion is probably a good inch or so - but then when it cools and they contract again, they don't necessarily end up back at their starting point (and so have an occasional tendency to creep or start leaking at one of the joints).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

For a while until the 3-in-1 causes the seals to expand and/or perish. A light smear silicone grease is the stuff to use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I paused at that suggestion. Then realised that if the seals are neoprene, that is supposedly resistant to mineral oil. And PVC is pretty resistant too. Found this relating to one PVC sheet product:

I ended up being perhaps more questioning over its effectiveness (will it really get to the right places?) and the possibility of splattering oil over whatever is underneath the guttering.

Reply to
polygonum

Tried it with superglue in a desperate effort to stop a drip. Failed again. I'm a wanker.

Mr Pounder

Yes, I was expecting ear plugs first, but this the second. I did think that maybe a good clean and some kind of wax polish, but how ould one get it under the brackets or in the joins, if indeed this is where the noise is coming from. It has to be movement and I suspect its because plastic is so lightweight against the old cast iron used before.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh yes, I can just see this going on, I actually think its coming from the brackets.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The joints seem to have some kind of sealant in them, well the bit left over seems to hav it but who knows. I'll try it though. I'll need to bridbe a friend as I cannot see well enough to get to the joins these days, besides, I think a blind bloke trying to put up a ladder could well be a health and safety issue.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Someone I know suggested that oil one used to find inside photocopiers, called fuser oil worked for him. No idea what its made of though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm, I can see a heap of broken plastic clips if I'm not careful here. Kind of reminds me of the time I decided to take the curtain track off to clean it and all the plastic brackets fell to bits...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So its a bit like the mechanism of an Earthquake then eh?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think I can trace this back to when I had the gutters cleaned in the Spring. Could be that the whole thing has started to move differently after the weight of crap was taken out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes it will be the brackets, silicone spray might last for a while?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin