Noisy Cistern

OK I realise this is probably very basic....

When I flush the loo, the cistern makes a noise for a few seconds just as the cistern finishes filling. The noise is like a mini foghorn. If I turn on another cold tap in the house the noise goes away while the tap is on.

I am guessing that the ballcock / valve my need replacing but is there another wayI can fix this?

TIA

Reply to
John Picton

If you have a service valve

on the inlet pipe you could try turning that down a bit to reduce the pressure,

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Water hammer. Pipes probably need to be better clipped down.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Or not... Had fog horn type hammer from the coldwater storeage tank here after I carefully clipped the pipe work to rafters etc. Slacking of the clips so the pipe could move cured it.

I don't think there is a single known way to cure this sort of problem, turn up/down the service valve a bit if there is one, change the washer in the valve, clip the pipework more securely, unclip the pipework, some combination of one or all of them...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

NT

Reply to
NT

valve

on the inlet pipe you could try turning that down a bit to reduce the

You need to apply what little knowledge you have to something else. Try paint by numbers.

Reply to
Tommy

"John Picton" wrote

Hi John

Have you recently turned off the main water supply to the house? If so you may have "opened" the valve/stop-c*ck further than it was, and introduced the problem.

If not then, as others have suggested, look at replacing either the washer on the ball valve, or the whole water fill arrangement. As TMH suggests, this will be a lot less disruptive if you have a service valve on the feed (and 2 toilets preferably).

The washers can go quite hard and "vibrate" as the ball valve nears closure.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It looks like I have a number of things to try (keeps me off the streets....).

I really appriciate the help ... first thing to try, I think, is replacing the washer, it looks to be the most simple solution.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Picton