Noisy Central Heating; creaks, etc

Hi I work from home and normally have the heating off but in this colder weather I have to have some heating. It has started to irritate me to hear the creaking/ticking of the copper pipes etc. I think the system is properly bled. Our central heating is 1970's but with a modern combi bolier.

My question is it just me? & secondly is this something they've solved in modern systems?

zzapper

zzapper

zzapper has brought this to us :

there brackets. The pipes as they expand through the holes or notches in the joists - which can be improved by sleeving them in bits of carpet or similar, where they rest on the joists. I would guess anything which helps them slide easily will help, even bits of tupperware type box material.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's not just pipes and radiators neither, floorboards, plastic pipe conduits, skirtings and all manner of bits and pieces expand and contract with heat/cold cycles...my house sounds like a popcorn factory sometimes.

Reply to
Phil L

Ours is the same, I quite like it.

Reply to
R D S

Phil L wrote on 19/12/2008 :

Indeed, but the pipes expand most, producing most of the noise.

We have some pipes which are boxed in. When the heating comes on from there we here a constant noise which sounds very like something is dripping. It's caught me out a number of times, looking for a possible leak.

We never actually turn the heating off, what we do is turn the room stat up and down - to around 15 during the night and perhaps 10 if we know we will be away for days at a time. When the weather is really cold, the heating sometimes fires up during the night and the racket is enough to wake me.

A low water temperature setting at the boiler can help cut some of the noise out, as their is not so much expansion involved, but I don't know what that might do to the efficiency figures.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

underfloor heating?

zzapper

Reply to
zzapper

LOL. Been there, done that.

Reply to
Huge

Me too. Meticulous on all pipes wrapped in felt, except a waste pipe which had to fit in a 2" deep floor. The pipe is also about 2"...run a hot basin, remove plug and you would swear water was dripping into the living room.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher