Noisy bathroom pull cord light

Hi!

My neighbours obviously have weak bladders. Never in all my life have I heard 2 people going to to the toilet so often.

Every time they go to the toilet I can hear the pull cord light switching on and off. It's like they are in my bathroom.

Whoever invented those hiddeous and noisy switches should be thrashed with a wet fish.... repeatedly.

Does anyone have a suggestions? Is it possible to remove the noisy switch thingy? (That is the tech term!) Can you buy quiet ones? Or soundproof it in anyway?

Thanks, Googly!

Reply to
Googly

Whoever built your house would be my first choice. If you hear the switch, you'll hear plenty else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know the answer to a quiet switch, but a friend of mine had the same problem with his three kids getting up in the night. When one got up and 'clunked' the switch it must have disturbed one of the others, when child number 2 'cluncked' the switch.....This went on for ages before he hit upon the idea of having a infa red passive (like on an outside light) wired in so the light came on automatically when somebody walked into the bathroom.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I've looked for one, and failed, in the past; they were all what I would call noisy.

I think John's idea is best.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I have this (IP44) PIR from TLC fitted in by bathroom. It works very well.

Brett Jackson

Am I right, you are looking for advice on how to change your neighbour's bathroom lightswitch (presumably without their permission)?

I would wait until they are away, then chisel out enough bricks to get into their bathroom, then refit their pull switch with a rubber sheet or pad between it and the ceiling to break the acoustic coupling between it and the ceiling joists.

Getting the bricks back in place is going to be tricky, but clearly worth the trouble....

Reply to
rockdoctor

Not me.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks all for the replies.

John: Good idea, not sure if they neighbour would go for this though.

Dave: This is the only noise issue I have in the flat. I think it is amplified by the ceiling cavity.

Si: I can't believe quiet operation switches do not exist. From what I have been reading on web this is a common issue.

As the noise is amplified (I think) in the cavity between their ceiling and my floor. What do you think the possibilities are for trying to the fill some of the cavity, at least surrounding the unit, with wool or foam?

Any more comments much appreciated :)

Thanks, Googly.

Reply to
Googly

They must exist, but not in the sheds or my local leccy retailer - they were all "Click Clonk!" things, and I felt I was getting a bit obsessive whilst searching the internet for ages for a quiet switch :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I doubt there are any bricks separating the houses. That's the whole problem...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Googly" wrote | Thanks all for the replies. | John: | Good idea, not sure if they neighbour would go for this though. | Dave: | This is the only noise issue I have in the flat. | I think it is amplified by the ceiling cavity.

Try a Dimpull (dimmer pull switch) from TLC and others.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

About 4 years ago, when I was fitting out my bathroom, I found that the B & Q own-brand pull-switches were fairly quiet. Do they still do their own range?

Reply to
StephenC

In article , Arthur writes

What you need is a movement detector... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

or even a "motion" detector.

:¬))