Noise nuisance

Are there any regulations about noise by workmen? My neighbours in a terrace are virtually rebuilding the house. The banging, drilling and Kangol hammering go on every day, all day. Have I any rights?

Reply to
Jim S

Would you be asking if your house needed work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes you need to keep a log and borrow a noise meter from your local environmental health folks. They can have a word, and I believe there are limits, but often its the nature of the noise, not the loudness which is the main issue and nobody seems to have addressed this aspect. What Noise annoys an Oyster, etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Trend round here seems to be making habitable basements where there once was only a cellar. Which seems to take about 3 months worth of compressor and pneumatic drill running all day. It would be possible to make a silent running compressor, if not the drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would given environmental health a ring. Log the call and who you were speaking to if need later for any reason.

There are general times when "noisy" work can be carried out, I thought it was generally taken to be 8am to 7:30pm but that may vary according to proximity and the types of noise.

Once when you have your facts I would then approach the offending neighbours and have a "quiet" word. If they argue with your terms then ask them to make their own enquiries.

Reply to
Fredxx

Have you tried tapping on the door and discussing the situation? Always a good way to start as you can then get some idea of the persons attitude.

I thought Kangol made clothing and the like.

Reply to
Nick

Sometimes the permitted hours are written into the planning permission, assuming the work requires it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon