No surprise there, then.

You *are* taking the piss, aren't you Tim?

This is as twisted a view of British society as I've ever seen (matched only by your version of "public schools", lower down, which is what made me decide that you are, in fact, taking the piss).

J.

Reply to
Another John

I'm taking the piss a little, yes, because of these holier-than-thou twerps who keeping pushing the public=good private=bad mantra (for their own definitions of public/private). I'm offering some

*alternative* definitions which the pissees would do well to consider.

If you are unaware of the origin of the phrase "public school" (as in independent fee-paying school) then I suggest you take steps to cure your ignorance.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And Hermes collect it too, not just deliver it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is he? "Publically owned" never meant any such thing. Could you sell your share? Could you vote at an AGM? Could you sack the directors? Did you get the dividends? The answer to all of these is no, and these organisations were no more "owned by the public" than I'm Lynford Christie, except in the minds of deranged lefties.

Reply to
Huge

For those of us who don't know, how much is the DM now?

Reply to
polygonum

Naah. Some lefties are merely deluded.

Reply to
Huge

Mail 60p Mon-Fri, 90p Saturday

First class letter 62p (makes the current Oz 70c=39p look cheap)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Locally the RM have just introduced the D2N service and to partake you have to fill in a D2N request form.

If you don't know what D2N is then you haven't studied internal RM jargon and their "text speak".

Reply to
alan_m

Deliver To Nobody ?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Spot on!

I had yet another card posted through my letter box this week telling me that a package was too large for the letter box and I had to collect it from the sorting office. Yes, the total package I picked up was too large BUT if I had taken off the elastic band each of the small individual items would have easily navigated my letter box. I now getting this on a regular basis.

Reply to
alan_m

No, old chap, I was not unaware of the origin at all, despite my apparent ignorance.

I was alluding to the fact that the "public schools" were [always] for the bourgeoisie who could afford to pay school fees (even if it were nobbut sixpence a week in them days). Lower down the chain than those who could afford private tutors, but higher -- much higher -- than the ignorant masses of the peasant class, who could expect no education at all (and of course did not need, never mind deserve, it) ... a situation to which you seem to be impatient to return.

Of course, the Public Schools of today -- charities to the last, naturally -- are still > Is he? "Publically owned" never meant any such thing. Could you sell your

["publicly", Huge] echoing what Dave[1] had said earlier ...

You (plural) seem to be referring to "the Government" as something entirely independent of, and indeed antagonistic towards, the British population. Just exactly what sort of society would you people like to live in? The USA, perhaps? Where everyone is rich, educated, talented, and utterly free? (Except the lazy ones, of course.) You should go there -- and join the Very Wonderful Republican Party.

Cheers chaps John (not a deranged leftie) (in fact not any kind of leftie, just a very lucky human being)

[1] I think it was Dave, but it might have been Tim -- I kind of lost track of the quote marks: apologies all round.
Reply to
Another John

In message , Another John writes

I think you still have to pay the fees regardless of your "connections"

Reply to
bert

but, with the right connections, the fees can be significantly reduced.

Reply to
charles

In fact they pay twice, since they still have to pay their taxes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I see it says "women and other minority groups"

Reply to
Dave W