No stop valve on hot water system

In my new house, there doesn'ts appear to be any way to turn of the hot water from the hot water cylinder, to allow me to work on some pipework. Can I just turn off cold water feed to hot water cylinder and let it drain, if what is the best way to fill it back up so i don't get any airlocks, as most taps with mains pressure seem to have mixer taps, so no way to back feed, or is there any simplier ways to solve problem. thanks for any suggestions

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
peter attwood

If you mean the copper immersion tank. which I think you do. Just turn off the feed into it that you can see. Water works on gravity, no feed in = no flow out. Try it you'll be pleasantly suprised, the tank will not empty!!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

THE TANK WILL NOT EMPTY ???

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

THE TANK WILL NOT EMPTY ???

Not until you open a downstairs or any tap that is lower than the hot tank. The hot tank has a vent to atmosphere at the top.

Just remember the 'U' - tube principle.

Chris.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

Even then, the only water that will empty is the water in the pipes, the cylinder will remain full.

The outlet from a normal hot water cylinder is at the top, and the inlet is at the bottom (Hot water rises, and cold water sinks) The pressure from the cold water entering the cylinder is what gets the hot water out ;-)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Thanks for the suggestion, everything is obvious isn't it when someone tells you. Slight problem, stopcock feeding hot water cylinder is stuck, looks very old and not used in years. Not sure what will happen if I apply some force to it ,to try and free it. I assume I can achieve the same by emptying the cold water tank in the loft which feeds the cylinder, and either turn off the mains, or tie up the ballvalve on the tank to stop it filling.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
peter attwood

You can get rubber bungs (in t'olden days a carrot and a potato were used) to put into the CW tank outlet and the vent pipe to seal the system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try 'closing' it a bit more first. You may be able to get some movement going that way. Whenever I open a stopcock etc, I always fully open them and then turn back 1/2 a turn. It doesn't affect the flow to any noticeable degree but gives you this option if things get stuck.

Yes same effect, or bung up the outlet hole from the header tank with something suitable. I carry a Demi John bung in my kit for just this purpose.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

"peter attwood" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ureader.com:

And, while you're at it, replace it with a full bore lever ball valve

mike

Reply to
mike ring