No spark from gas oven

I do not hear any spark (or gas?) from my oven although everything seems to work fine on top.

The last two times the oven was switched on there was a spark, but sounded like it was having a bit of trouble to get going. Now theres nothing at all.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Justus

Reply to
justus

Have you tried replacing the battery in the ignition mechanism?....usually an AA hidden somewhere at the very bottom.

Reply to
Phil L

My oven has a reset button on it for when the gas has been turned off for some reason.

Does yours?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On 19 May 2006 07:49:27 -0700 someone who may be "justus" wrote this:-

Is the spark powered by mains electricity, or electricity from a battery, or electricity from a piezo-electric crystal?

It may the middle one and it has gone flat. Such batteries are often hard to locate in the bowels of the appliance.

Reply to
David Hansen

if it was a battery problem, would that not affect the grill an plates at the top of the oven as well? These work fine

Justus

Reply to
justus

Have you checked the ignition wire inside the oven? - something may have dripped onto it during cooking and formed a skin preventing the spark from getting through....use a torch and have a proper look.

Reply to
Phil L

I've had trouble with carbonised grease built up on the ceramic tube that insulates the spark wire acting as a short circuit. Cleaning the tube with scouring powder fixed it. This, however, was on top. Getting at the tube inside at the back may be tricky, as also explaining to all who pass by why you have your head in the oven :-)

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran