No pressure in Hot water tap!!! Help

Hi, Just installed a new kitchen in a friends house but after fitting the new sink in the hot water tap has been reduced to a dribble. Her hot water system is as follows (I will try to describe it as best as possible...)

There is a cold water feeder tank in the airing cupboard feeding a hotwater tank with immersion heater in. Out of the feeder tank is two pipes one feeding the cold water in the bathroom and the other feeding the hw tank.. From the hotwater tank is a pipe controlled by a gate tap, this feeds the bathroom hotwater both sink and bath and the bath (Which has always had low pressure) then this same pipe feed the kitchen hw tap which use to have good pressure (Well better than now). I have checked that there are no kinks in the flexible pipe and that there are no blockages in the tap itself. So what's wrong......... Doe the system need bleeding as I emptied the whole system, I have also replaced both Gate Valves (The one coming out of the cold water tank and the one coming out of the hw tank)

If it need bleeding could someone give me some advice on how to do it.

Cheers and hope someone can help Oli

Reply to
The Question Asker

The Question Asker

Try blowing back up the spout with the tap full on to see if it clears. One thing I'd ask you to check to see is that no debris has fallen into the pipe work when it lay open or that any PTFE Tape you've applied to the joints hasn't pulled over the ends of the fittings or the pipes.

Reply to
BigWallop

Reply to
The Question Asker

As long as you have someone watching the level cold water storage tank to ensure that water doesn't get pushed through the hot water cylinder making the cold water storage tank overflow ... but I don't think you want to try this yet.

The new Cold Tap (which works okay) may be fed straight from the mains, and therefore is under mains pressure? The 'Hot' part of the tap may be expecting the same pressure water and or may have an insert/flow reducing value which you remove in low-pressure installations.

First plan of action is to ring the manufacturer of the new tap to see if they have any advice.

Perhaps the new tap is faulty?

Once that avenue has been exhausted I'd try and reconnect the old tap to see if the old one works ok.

Steve

Reply to
StevieBoy

Depending on the innards of the mixer tap, the water could be mixed at the spout outlet or in the body. If it is mixed in the body, putting your thumb over the end and turning both on will have the same effect. If it as mixed at the outlet, you might be able to clamp a short piece of blocked off pipe or similar over the outlet. This will also link the hot and cold.

Reply to
John Armstrong

Reply to
The Question Asker

If there is no HW from the bath tap also then you have an air lock (why did you have to drain the tank the gate valve sould have at least stemmed the flow enough to work on the kitchen pipes?). If you have air lock and the the bath cold is working then simply connect the bath cold and hot together (easy if you have a mixer - just put your hand over the outle) and turn both on. Wait 30seconds (maybe more) and then release and turn of the cold the hot should splutter into normal operation.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"John Armstrong" wrote | >I have replaced ith a new mixer tap so its is a bit hard to connect | >a hose pipe between them.. | Depending on the innards of the mixer tap, the water could be mixed at | the spout outlet or in the body.

As it's a kitchen tap, the water should only be mixed at the outlet and usually these taps have concentric spouts, in which case the hot should be central and the cold surrounding. This helps stop the spout getting hot to touch when running a lot of hot water.

Owain

Reply to
Owain