No Indicator of Which is Cold and Hot Taps

Page 2 of 2
(phigham) wrote:

Why is it even 'should'? I would have said "is often on the left".
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:57:14 +0000, Andrew wrote:

I can't think where I found out that it was a 'should' rather than an 'is', but I beleive it to be so, but welcome to be corrected.
Note that a thermostatic bath/shower mixer unit will _require_ the supply pipes are arranged according to the norm.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:32:21 +0000, "Ed Sirett"

I was told it was so that blind people would know which was which. I don't know how they are supposed to know if it has been plumbed incorrectly though....
geoff wrote:

I am very irritated by this 'standard practice' particularly in the kitchen, where I pick up the kettle in my right hand and have to cross my left over it to fill it...same for large heavy sauxcepans.
Oh well.

You could always pick up the kettle with your left hand. That way your right hand to free to manipulate the taps and the lid, which requires greater dexterity.
Christian.