No hot water - broken programmer?

Hi

I'm suffering from a lack of hot water at the moment - not a good time of year for it to happen.

I've got a vented gas hot water/central heating system, with an aging Ideal Classic NF boiler, ACL Lifestyle LP241 programmer, and an ACL Lifestyle mid-position valve.

The central heating is working fine, but we haven't got any hot water. The hot water light on the programmer never lights up. The valve seems to be working OK - it moves to the heating position when the heating is turned on, and back to the central position when power is cut.

I think this is probably a programmer fault - due to the fact that the hot water light never comes on. A label on the back of the programmer says the warranty ran out in December 1994, so it's getting on a bit.

The system's due to be ripped out and replaced in a few months, so I'd rather not buy a new programmer now. Are there any short term hacks I can try - e.g. change the wiring so the hot water comes on at the same time as the heating?

Thanks

Olly

Reply to
Oliver Maunder

In message , Oliver Maunder writes

Why not ?

Buy a decent one and use it with the new system

Reply to
geoff

open the valve manually and disconnect the power supply to it. or switch on the immersor

Even better - just looked on ebay and there are plenty of replacements for under a tenner. I saw a couple of =A360 prices yesterday which put me off buying anything.

Since posting I wired the hot water and heating to the same terminal in the programmer and now the water's hot again. I suppose the cylinder thermostat isn't going to have any effect anymore, so hopefully I won't scald myself before the new programmer arrives!

Thanks for the responses.

Olly

Reply to
Oliver Maunder