no heating from Gloworm combi boiler, radiators are not hot

help, my gloworm combi boiler is heating my water but not heating the radiators, i have bled all rads incase air lock but from the middle floor to top floor there is nothing coming out of the ras, no air or water. any ideas?

Reply to
nicola

your header tank is not refilling.and the water level in the system has dropped .

Reply to
charles

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most combis are sealed system. I would have thought there will be a filling loop that needs attention?

If that is the case there should be a gauge on the boiler of course - somewhere!

Reply to
Fredxxx

If there is no pressure, there will be no hot water either. Another poster says the header tank needs filling! Why even reply if you havent got any idea about these things? It is a combi boiler, it will be pressurised, it has hot water, but no radiators. It could be a few things, but my money would be on a stuck diverter valve. Other areas to check would be sensors on the CH outputs, or even a PCB failure, a pump that is failing, but working enough to pump the HW around the boiler, a fault with the programmer/stat, or even a total blockage on the CH pipes.

Do any of the CH output pipes get hotter when calling for heat? Is there a crucnching/sticking noise when the diverter valve moves/tries to move? Does the boiler fire up at all when calling for heat?

Check the boiler is getting an input from the programmer/stat. Take the cover off to see / hear if the diverter is moving. It is fires up, see how long for, and of the output pipes get hot, and if / when it cuts out.

Get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Reply to
Alan

How can a stuck diverter valve have the symptoms of "middle floor to top floor there is nothing coming out of the ras, no air or water"?

Yes quite. Perhaps first check if there is some water pressure? If there is then perhaps supply heat to the house to thaw out any ice?

Reply to
Fredxxx

replying to Alan, Nicola wrote: Thanks guys. I've got a plumber coming tomorrow just making kids put dressing gowns on for now hahaha Boiler fires up when waters on but not with heating I've turned it off and tried firing it back up. My husband thinks it's a valve

Reply to
Nicola

Is there an LCD display on the front of the boiler? If so, what does it say, is it flashing 0.4 ?

Reply to
John #9

It does sound like loss of pressure on the primary circuit. If so it can be got going again by adding some water. A picture of the underneath & front of the boiler could help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to John #9, Nicola wrote: Yes there is but no error code at all. It just shows temperature

Reply to
Nicola

Because the fauklt description fits that scenario perfectly.

More than no radiators, no water in some radiators.

There would still be water in the radiators.

Reply to
charles

do let us know what the problem turnns out to be.

Reply to
charles

Has your husband checked the system pressure on the gauge on the front of the boiler? Should be 1 bar or the needle should be in the green segment.

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to Nicola, Nicola wrote: Plumbers been and all fixed. A valve was stuck that's in upstairs airing cupboard and he said all radiators r cheap ones it's a new build house onlybin since 2008 but once valves on rads open he put a pin in n the air came out. We have been replacing them because they looked cheap and the new ones were all fine. Thankfully not cost a fortune thanks for all your help

Reply to
Nicola

I think the point he is making is that combi boilers don't have header tanks, they are closed, pressurised systems with an air-filled expansion tank.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Get off your high horse. If you'd read all the replies you'd realise that Alan was quoting Charles who suggested that the header tank wasn't filling. He doesn't say it doesn't need pressurising, just that it won't have a header tank.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I helped out a mate with that 'trick' ... he was a plumber. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Except that it might have retained the original hot tank and header tank, with the primary circuit connected to the combi as a zone. Unusual but not impossible.

Reply to
Andrew

"It's a new build ", but you moved there in 2008 and are not the first owner. Sounds old enough for most things boiler-related to fail.

So perhaps it was a condensing boiler, and not a combi boiler all along ?. There is a subtle difference, but one that will confuse the argumentative s0ds that live on uk-d-i-y !!!!.

Or is it a combi with additional heating zones ?. Even more unusual, but again not impossible.

"he said all radiators r cheap ones " ... translation : 'I would really be only too happy to remove them all and fit new ones and charge you 'list price' (price list to prove it) while only pay trade price (the price list he definately won't show you).

'List price' is of course anything from 50% to 100% more than trade price.

Reply to
Andrew

They tend to be called system boilers. However that just implies they have the pump and expansion tank in them. I have one and a cylinder that is zoned.

Reply to
dennis