No earth terminal in plastic bulbholder

Hello all,

I'm trying to build an unusually-designed lamp from scratch. I bought three core flex (live neutral and earth) and a basic B&Q plastic lamp-type bulb holder - you can probably figure out my problem from here: a quick look in this group tells me that it's not unusual for a plastic lamp holder to have no earth terminal and thats what I found with this one.

I assume this has no safety implications to worry about and that I should just use two core flex? Is there any way I can wire it to use the 3 core I have already bought?

Thanks in advance... cam

Reply to
edhead2003

bought

Assuming this isn't just a troll posting.

In having to ask such a basic question, are you sure you are capable of building this 'lamp' safely, or should you just give up ?

I blame all these UK DIY television programmes, "Yes you can do anything, just a wish to do it is all you need, common sense or ability doesn't matter - you CAN do it"..... not. :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Does your "unusually-designed lamp" have any exposed metal parts? If so they may need earthing (I don't think you can assume that a lampholder provides Class 2 insulation.)

Otherwise use 2-core flex, as you say. Don't attempt bodges like cutting off the earth wire in a 3-core flex, as this may confuse someone trying to change the plug or undertake a PAT test at a later date.

Flex used to wire directly to a lampholder should be the heat-resisting grade to BS 6141 (you can buy this in B&Q) and not ordinary 70 deg C rated type (BS 6500).

HTH

Reply to
Andy Wade

lampholder

None at all...

This is what I was going to do - it struck me that I could just wire the earth at the plug end and then not connect it at the bulb end.

heat-resisting

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry - I realise that it may come across as slightly dim but this is not a troll. Attempt to get your head around the idea that not everyone has an interest in the same topics as, I presume, yourself and have very little 'common knowlegde' to go on in this area...

I happen to have a copy of the Reader's Digest DIY 'bible', yes, and it encourages me to do ludicrous things like replace my consumer unit. Not for me, and I agree with you that its breezy tone and perfect-world diagrams probably encourage a wide range of ill-advised projects. However, can I find an answer to a 'basic question' like this? It would seem not.

Thanks for the replies, cam

Reply to
edhead2003

everyone

In which case you shouldn't be contemplating doing something that could kill if you get things wrong. Competence to do something is not just a wish to do something...

'nough said.... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::