No central heating

Since I have had this house, I have had gas wall heaters and a Thames main water heater, (there is no hot water cistern, water heats up straight away if you get my drift. I am considering central heating, A combi boiler could replace the Thames, but the whole job I fear could be very expensive, the problem is.

1, The main gas pipe comes in to the boiler(in Kitchen) via the bedroom floor as my floors downstairs are solid. 2 the boiler could be simply replaced,(for a combi) but it is below the bathroom which has a tiled floor, so pipes cannot run straight upstairs. 3 solid walls separate half the house as it has been extended. Am I looking at a million pounds???
Reply to
Annette Kurten

Sorry three bedrooms hall and bathroom. downstairs living room dining room kitchen and study. regards

Reply to
Annette Kurten
  • I am not a gas fitter *

Depending on the size of the gas pipe it might need to be replaced anyway= =20 for something a little more meaty... There are rules about pressure drop=20 and supply pipe size I think.

In my case, the old multipoint was positioned in a ground floor extension= =20 and had the flue onto a shared passageway so the boiler had to be sited=20 elsewhere - we stuck it in the back bedroom instead on the same side of=20 the house venting to the rear of the property.

We also had solid floors downstairs, so a little more thought was needed=20 about the routing of the pipework - we wanted to make it as easy as=20 possible for the fitter, so we chose locations that meant as little=20 plumbing and floor ripping as possible.

The CH pipework for downstairs now runs behind two freezers and a fridge=20 which gets it to the cupboard under the stairs. Pipes to one rad run=20 through the bottom rung, and more pipes run around the inside of the=20 cupboard to get to a wall suitable for the living room. These pop out=20 above the skirting and look quite neat :-)

There`s only one "drop" location in the whole house where the pipework=20 runs, the rest is just above the skirting board on the ground floor.

You`d have to get pipes in to feed radiators somehow. What if you wanted=20 a rad in the bathroom ? In our case, he ran pipes behind the toilet,=20 behind a pedastal basin, and into the void under the bath - they emerge=20 from the other end, and only about 6" of pipe is visible before you get=20 to the rad.

Nothing a decent drill couldn`t cope with :-p

I just got a similar system replaced by a CH installer one-man-band (all=20 legit, VAT / CORGI regd etc) for =A32100 all in. This was probably slightly= =20 cheaper than normal as it was a friend of a neighbour of my dad...

My dads` neighbour made an appearance and did some prep work (floors up /= =20 notched joists / made good the hole left in the wall where the multipoint= =20 used to be), and it took 3 days in total.

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

Colin Wilson

Indeed so, see the FAQ below. However the water heater is likely to have a large supply pipe already as its gas rate will be comparable to that of a combi boiler.

This type of installation comes up on mid C20 flats of which there are a lot round here. Running the flow/return pipes around the skirting is the usually approach and usally just one or two small sections buried in the floor across a doorway or two.

Make sure the pipes are tested/commissioned first then protected with bitumen or denso tape then the floor reinstated.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

though.

Reply to
Annette Kurten

I would leave British Gas off of your list of potential suppliers in that case......

Come to think of it..... I would anyway.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall