Nippy reliable hatchback that takes bigger objects than an estate car?

After starting the recent thread about small vans that can carry 8x4 sheets, thanks to the many helpful suggestions and insights, I conclude that what I probably want is a reasonable-sized hatchback that will take 8x4 sheets on a roof rack.

Why a hatchback? (a) more streamlined for long trips and driving at speed. (b) lighter, so more economical (c) I get the impression that some hatchbacks can actually take larger objects than estate cars (if you drive them with the hatch open.) (d) better handling because less top-heavy (arguably)

So I'm looking for a hatchback (around 10 years old) for £1500 or so, that is:

(a) reliable (b) cheap to run (c) cheap to repair (d) easy to get spares for (e) good acceleration (4x4 would be great, espec. for wet roads) (f) handles really well on bends and in crosswinds (g) takes large objects (h) won't give me me a bad back! (seats with good small-of-back support)

Any suggestions?

As for my very occasional need to move house, and take furniture to the tip, I reckon it makes more sense to hire a Transit for one day, as needed. I just can't seem to stomach the thought of using a transit for everyday driving. My budget doesn't stretch to having a car *and* a large van.

Many thanks

Kat

In message , Kat writes

A TARDIS?

I'm not sure I'd agree with your point about some hatches being bigger inside than their equivalent estate versions.

I'd say a Mondeo would be ideal but I'd consider the estate. The Mondeo is particularly comfortable with excellent seats. Passats are good but not so cheap to maintain. If you really need 4x4 then what about a Subaru Legacy. Not so easy to find but within your budget.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

sierra 4x4 estate

Reply to
mrcheerful

Unlikely to be much difference... will depend on model a bit.

ditto

doubt it - given you can leave the tailgate partially open on an estate if you really want.

will depend on model. An estate based on a decent chassis design will piddle all over a mediocre hatchback.

I think your requirements would be better met with an estate.

Have a look at one of the old JD powers surveys for the era, see what was rated best by their owners.

(or in keeping with my previous suggestions, perhaps I ought to say Subaru Imprezza, does a, d, e, f, and h in spades, c will depend on how you break it, b will be ok but more thirsty on the juice than some alternatives. A turbo version will do e, and f in ways you think defy the laws of physics, but you may not be able to find one in your price range).

Reply to
John Rumm

Thought he wanted something reliable?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought the OP was female?

My 4x4 is perfectly reliable, only failure has been fuel pump and that had the grace to break at a convenient place and cost a tenner for a second-hand one, try and get a Subaru (for instance) fuel pump, full stop, let alone a Tuesday afternoon from an ordinary breakers yard. To my mind, spend 500 quid on the car and you have money to spend fixing whatever is needed to get a workhorse that is fun too, and won't break the bank for repairs, probably insurance is cheap too.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I didn't say that. Read again.

Yes - that's a possibility. Thanks

Kat

Thanks for the suggestion. A few years ago I was keen to buy one of those, but they were hard to find even back then. I ended up with a Honda Prelude - which was nice till the sills went.

Kat

No - male actually.

That's pretty much my philosophy too, though I'd stretch to £1500 if I think it'll buy me more reliability and/or a car that's more fun to drive. I'm keen to get something that won't get rusting sills. I'm tired of getting caught out by that problem.

Kat

Have you considered a trailer, mine takes 8x4 sheets, my 307 can tow it (legally), without any great greif up a 1:8 with a tonne bag of aggrigate in it.

The 307 tows better at it maximum load than my 4x4 Izusu did at 1/2 its max, and the Izusu with 2/3 of max was a real pig, requieing low ratio to get a 1.5 tonne mini digger up a 1:8. The 307 will tow a micro digger in my trailer - no problems

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Thanks for the unput. Driving with the back door of an estate open enable you to carry longer objects only. Driving with a hatchback's hatch open will enable you to carry longer *and* taller objacts in some cases. See what I'm saying?

I must say, I am interested in the Impreza and Legacy. Funny thing is, you'd never guess their performance characteristics by their looks, would you? Can you clarify a bit more about the spares availability? I'm dead wary about buying something where a headlamp glass costs £50 or more and can't be found in a local scrapyard.

Kat

Hi Rick - Yes, it was suggested in the other thread. The amount I'm going to need it, I can't justify buying one. Hiring one is an option, but I figure that hiring a Transit van would be a more convenient option.

Kat

Not exactly what you were asking for, but Citroen Berlingo MPVs aren't bad. Very car like to drive, but with bags of room with the back seats right down. Most of the body is galvanised, so few corrosion problems, the 1.6i petrol is 'fairly' nippy, or the diesel 1.9 if you want economy. Even Jeremy Clarkson raved about them, and sent sales soaring aiui.

Reply to
Sim C.

Spectacularly fails on a, c, d. Very good on h, as it's got bedrooms. Does it have cargo doors?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Trouble is, they always fail the MOT test - even when brand new, so that one's out.

Kat

Audi RS4?

Oops, you said £1500 not £15000, didn't you? Not sure it would be cheap to run or repair either.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Buy a MIG welder and an angle grinder, learn to weld and it won't bother you so much :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Another point to consider which I don't think anyone's mentioned yet - think about whether you want an estate/hatchback with/without a rear lip on the tailgate. If you have one, there's the advantage that your boot contents stay reasonably together and don't fall out every time you open the tailgate; but it also means you have to lift heavy objects (like bags of sand or plaster) over the lip each time. A big consideration if you're worried about your back, as you say. I think most if not all hatchbacks will have the lip (is that the right word??!)

We have one car with a flat tailgate, one with a 12" lip - give me the flat one anytime.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I ran one (the same one) for 11 years and found it reliable. It also handled better than my current Audi Coupe.

The Estates are however getting a bit long in the tooth. The last ones were made in 1989. The hatchbacks soldiered on till 1993 so even the newest of those would be over 10 years old.

Reply to
Roger

Never needs one. Simply time travels so it's always less than three years old...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)