Night vision

Page 1 of 2
Lucky me; I've been asked to choose a generously- priced Christmas present.
I'm considering a night- sight/ night vision scope, or whatever you might call such a thing, for wildlife watching.
Can anyone comment on the available types? Is there a FAQ?
Which models have IR illumination, and is that a requirement?
What's the battery life like, and can they use rechargeables?
Do they have a long life expectancy, or do they wear out? Are they robust, and shower/ water proof?
How usable are they, by spectacle wearers?
How does one go about using them with a digital camera (Nikon 995, in my case), if that's possible?
I see that Millets have one, on offer; reduced from 1999 to 175 GBP. IS tat an "entry- level" price?
This one looks intriguing, too:
<http://www.sovietbazaar.co.uk/index.php?d=nvmonocular&p=nvm_hth811w
and they "supply to retailing outlats throut UK" ;-)
(cross- posted)
--
Andy Mabbett Reply to [my first name] [at] pigsonthewing.org.uk
USA imprisons children without trial, at Guantanamo Bay:
Andy Mabbett wrote:

Check out these as well, seem to have a few items: http://www.cobra-optics.co.uk/index.htm
Haven't used them myself, but I've bought stuff from their parent company before.
Lee
--
Never summon Anything you can't banish.
-

When I had a catalogue of night vision gear, there was quite a wide choice. You needed to decide whether you wanted monocular or binocular vision and what sort of magnification you wanted. One of the binocular types had a hands-free headband. My recolllection is that the effective range was not too impressive, perhaps 30m on the longest range types.

The ones you can buy easily are probably ex-Russian first generation equipment. SFAIK, that does need IR illumination to work, hence, I suspect, the restricted range. If you get a chance to look through a current military version, which are entirely passive, you will probably be amazed at the difference.
Colin Bignell
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:54:03 +0100, Andy Mabbett

200 quid, common as muck.
For a start on a buyer's guide, treat them as binoculars. Many of the optical issues about field of view etc. are still similar.

There are some that take camera lenses (of various mounts). Can be worthwhile if you already have a good investment in optics.
Focussing of IR may be near-impossible with some mirror lenses though (because they're not all mirrors, but partially refractive too)

All of 'em. Anything that doesn't is 2 grand and upwards, and still rare as hen's teeth.
Look at IR rabbit lamping sets, if you want a bigger illuminator. Anchor in Ripley used to have the IR searchlights off Chieftains at one time - about 2' across !

On a decent one, it should be enormous.

Modern stuff should be robust. Old ones didn't like daylight or damp.

They're all monoculars, so it's no big deal. Binoculars are still a gimmick. At this level of resolution, and with this sort of line-of-sight illumination, then you have no usable stero imagery anyway.

Find one with a suitable mount at the back end, and a suitable camera. Still rare, although they are around.

Yup. Worst when it comes from Down Under. That damn woman, adding her .WAVs to each bit of spam. You know, whats-her-name... oh, that's it, Waltzung Bruenhilde. Waltzung Bruenhilde, Waltzung Bruenhilde, who'll come a-Waltzung Bruenhilde mit mir...
"Find one with a suitable mount at the back end, and a suitable camera. Still rare, although they are around." [..]
Sony sell a digital camera (Cybershot F717) with IR and semi IR capability. in IR mode it takes pics in IR resolution, in semi IR you look at the subject in IR but take pictures in normal resolution with the flash. I'll take some pics tonight and post them.
Les
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:54:03 +0100, Andy Mabbett

three or four degrees of night vision with IR illumination and is very effective so view and film as necessary,,nature at its best !
joe

What model is that, and how old is it, please?
--
Andy Mabbett Reply to [my first name] [at] pigsonthewing.org.uk
USA imprisons children without trial, at Guantanamo Bay:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:42:35 +0100, Andy Mabbett

8 camcorder and was a new model perhaps 3 or 4 years ago so should be available used at a good price now.
joe

AIUI as a private individual you cannot legally own 3rd(?) generation night vision equipment in the UK, the sort the police use. The greatest you can get is 2nd gen 'Enhanced'. These are ferociously expensive though.
Take a look at http://www.cobra-optics.co.uk/third_generation_night_vision.htm
Rgds
Andy R

Why not ?
Blunkett hasn't started identity cards for telescopes _just_ yet !
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:33:01 +0100, Andy Dingley

I haven't heard of that law, and know people with the current US military sets (PVS-12 I think, the older ones are the PVS-7).
What *is* required is an export licence if you want to export from the US, although I don't think you would have a problem getting one for shipping to the UK.
Gareth

Rubbish, you most certainly can own it! It may be illegal to export from the USA under ITAR or the munitions regulations but there's nowt wrong with importing it. Besides which the French will sell very good tubes to almost anyone!

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.

Really? Why?
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:34:19 +0100, Andy Dingley

Another Nildram, pedo sock puppet comes to life. I never knew you could breed!
codesmiths.com!! Bwahahahahahahahahaha goo ga ga
Did mabbet help in designing that troll shit haven?
'You can't win 'em all.' Lord Haw Haw.
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:17:28 +0100, Andy Dingley

You wont go far wrong KFing muppet, always been a safe bet if you like peace and quiet, but then you'll never get to know why it all started. Plus he is constantly cancel ling other peoples posts by issuing rogue cancels, highly dubious but what the heck!
'You can't win 'em all.' Lord Haw Haw.

k/f the flamers than theit target, (astronomy groups are also popular with them), so I'll still get AM's posts
mike r

Decide whether you want IR detection optics or light amplifiction i.e. nightsight type.
The Nightsights are better and 3rd generation optics are good - but very expensive. On all light intensifictaion scopes work by amplification of existing light ... starscope, nightsite etc. .... green inmages full of sparklies, but OK for fun. But they do not work in real darkness as there is nothing to amplify ... and as it gets darker the level of sparklies (noise) increases.
Sudden bright light cause a white out and optics take a while to recover.
IR devices work by heatdifferences, the better ones use liquid gas (helium or simialr) to super coll the detector - often a very high speed revolving mirror (several thousand rpm) Image is very good, but high battery drain. But they will work in total darkness.
Rick
If your interested in shooting more than pictures with a night sight I have got just the thing for sale at the moment at the very reasonable price of 350 which is very cheap when compared to the 460 that most retailers are selling them for. it's a brand new Generation 1 night vision rifle sight with 2.5x magnification an inbuilt IR illuminator that is at least twice the power of the ones that are fitted to night vision goggles and monoculars. it also uses an illuminated reticule and has a water resistant aircraft grade aluminium body and it comes with weaver and dovetail scope mounts. the max range is around fifty yards when your shooting something small like a rabbit but viewing in the open can be up to several hundred meters and around 50m in complete darkness I.e dense woodland inside buildings ect when using the IR illuminator. the life expectancy for them is around twenty years with normal use but you do have to be careful not to expose them to bright light when they are turned as it can damage the tube, most including the one that I'm selling have a built in mechanism which turns them off automatically if they are exposed to bright light but it is still not a good idea to risk damaging the tube. for more specs do a search on goggle keyword D-141 night vision sight.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:21:10 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@know.who (Not me guv) wrote:

How interesting, you must be great at parties.

Lets hope they are a little brighter than you appear in that case!
'You can't win 'em all.' Lord Haw Haw.