Nice new take on old lamps

or

John Rumm

I saw some a few weeks ago like the "60w GLS Shape Lamp" in a shop-floor ladies fashion display.

I wonder what argument they use to circumvent EU legislation? They looked grossly under-run assuming they weren't dimmed artificially, so the rough service excuse maybe?

Reply to
Graham.

They've been around in stores for 5-10 years. They are *horribly* inefficient, just like their 1920's versions were. ISTR they have a 'G' rating.

When they first [re]appeared, the two loops one was actually a carbon filament lamp, although current versions of it don't seem to be. The two loop carbon filament ones have been available from lab suppliers for decades (mainly used as images for pin-hole cameras made in schools). One other down-side is that if you switch on a carbon filament lamp whose glass has cracked and let air in, they explode.

In last few weeks, I have seen LED versions of them, with strings of tiny very warm white LEDs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

One would generally underrun them anyway, to get more life and make the filament more visible. They're decorative more than lighting.

No lifetime rating I see.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

3,000h I saw ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah you mean like that old lamp that looked like an oil lamp with some sort of opaque shrouded flickering leds controlled by some circuit in the place where the oil tank used to be. I expect there are a lot of this sort of thing coming out gawd help us all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not really Brian,

These look like the bulbs you got in the 1920's, 2 large loops of fillament, or multiple vertical zig zags, glowing orange so for looking at rather than illuminating a room me thinks.

Reply to
Gazz