Nice

When was the last time the number of pounds spent was smaller than the number of litres purchased? A whole 17p below parity on 57.89 l.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A few weeks ago, before Christmas, I filled up at 99.7.

Reply to
polygonum

And so did Dave based on his figures.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Whilst the price of petrol in Saudi Arabia has soared - to 16p per litre.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Correct, I only bought yesterday but noticed the previous Saturday that temporary Tesco at Carlisle was at 99.7. Most other garages in the area are still over £1 at 102.9 or 103.9 p/l.

Last time diesel was consistently below £1/l was before Nov 2007, though it did wibble around £1/l between Dec 2008 and Sep 2009 (mostly above).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With all of the local supermarkets charging 99.x, and most of the others in town charging 102.x I couldn't believe the ones on the main road asking

107.x - especially as they used to be competitive.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Usually independent vendors are not in control of the selling price. They dance to the suppliers tune. If they are stuck with a tankful of higher priced fuel, they don't get a price drop until the the next tanker load comes in which is tough in a falling market.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

I blame the EU. When I learnt to drive it was half a crown a gallon.

( plus the cost of filling the hot water bottles because the Standard Vanguard didn't have a heater),

Reply to
Bill

It's a texaco garage

Reply to
tim.....

The cheapest petrol I've bought for a long time was just over 90p/litre at Auchan, Dunkerque.

When I drove diesel vehicles I always took advantage of the much lower prices in France and Belgium but petrol fuelled vehicles always went out full and came back close to empty!

I did find fuel slightly cheaper just outside Ieper before we came home but a drop in sterling of a couple of cents against the Euro cancelled out the difference.

Prices are still low - Auchan price is ?1.259/litre

(the actual location is Grande Synthe) but the Visa exchange rate is now only ?1.3056, less if you pay commission on foreign currency conversions (I don't)
so only a couple of coppers less than the supermarkets here but it was nice while it lasted!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Last time petrol cost half a crown (30d) or less a gallon was 1949.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, 30d = 12.5p, but I definitely remember setting off with the half crown in about 1958 for a gallon of, presumably, 2 star.

I found this quote on a Telegraph website

" In 1977 the price of bitter in an average London saloon bar was only

15 p per pint! In 1958 the price of petrol was only 7.5 p per GALLON - not per litre (converted from old money which was 1/3). ".

But IANAH.

Reply to
Bill

1949.

or 2/6

I wasn't about in 1958 but

7.5 new pence is 1 shilling and 6 pence not 1/3. 1/3 is 6.5 new pence. B-)

I wasn't paying that much attention to petrol prices in the late 60's but I'm pretty sure they where 1 and something per gallon. Say 1/6,

7.5 new pence that's 1.65 (one point six five) new pence litre!
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Late 50s yes, late 60s no.

ISTR you could fill up a tank of about 10 gallons for a fiver, so maybe around 10/- a gallon then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I got diesel last week passing through Dublin @ EURO 0.999 per litre. Place was thronged with taxis, always a good sign I.M.E.

Reply to
fred

I can remember petrol at 2/9d a gallon in the early 1950s - not that I was buying it. By 1963, when I had a car it was 4/11d, if I was lucky.

Reply to
charles

Early 1960s I used to get 4 gallons for just under £1 - (approx 4/6d / gallon). It soon rose and became hardly worth waiting for the change. (In those times the attendant who put the petrol in took the £1 note to the office and returned with the change.)

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

If you drive a little further, to Luxembourg, you get much cheaper petrol (google says EURO 1.05/litre).

I live on the Swiss/German border. Germans drive into Switzerland to fill up on petrol; Swiss drive into Germany to fill up on diesel.

(I just bought diesel at EURO.969 / litre)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I was always amused by the English penchant for buying by the gallon. Two g allons @ 5/2 = 10/4. Give him a EURO 1 and wait for your change. We alway s bought it 10/-or £1 at a time.Saved faffing about.

Reply to
fred

You may have bought half a gallon. Many did in those days. ;-)

Sounds about as accurate as most ToryGraph stuff. Cheapest I remember commercial petrol was approx 4 bob (20p) a gallon. And there was RPM in those days so petrol price was the same near everywhere. Most post war cars would have been very unhappy on commercial petrol too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)