Newsgroup reader

Hi all

I have always used outlook express and then windows mail to access newsgroups along with managing emails

I will need to move to Outlook as I have to run an app that has a plug in written just for that

I do not think that Outlook has a newsreader

What newsreader should I use?

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Anything that does not use Windows as its OS.

Reply to
Davey

Thunderbird is pretty good and free. It will also do email.

Reply to
Martin Brown

As I support lots of business clients who all use windows I have no choice as I need to be able to replicate their problems

However I would never ever ever knock Windows as it has kept me in work for many years

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Forte Agent,

$29 but well worth it.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Why not stick with Windows Mail if it works for you? Set Outlook as your default mail handler and leave Windows Mail as your default news reader.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

There's plenty of non-microsoft newsreaders that work on Windows. I use Agent. I avoid Microsoft mail and news clients completely since they do not conform to standards.

Reply to
Mark

You could just carry on using outlook express/LM. You just remove the email accounts and add /newsonly to the command invoking OE/LM.

Reply to
dennis

Nothing to stop you continuing with OE or Windows mail if that is what you are used to. Using outlook for mail does not stop them operating for newsgroups.

Thunderbird ought not be too much of a culture shock from what you currently use.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do Microsoft pay you to drive users to them?

Reverse psychology and all that... make it look like all "alternative" OS users are all unhelpful drooling trolls, and sell another copy of Win 7.

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed. Usually if there is a problem with the display of somebody's post, such as the text below a sig. line being displayed, it is because they have used one of MS's products, which did not treat the original message the way it should have done.

Reply to
Davey

Well I never knew that.

even endeavours to lose the "Express" qualifier and pretends it's full blown Outlook.

It's far too late too late to win me back though.

Reply to
Graham.

Details of how, shown here:

John Rumm

Thanks for all the replies

will have a look at all of the suggestions

I was looking at migrating everything to Outlook as an easy option for my email accounts and contacts and using something non Microsoft for my newsreader and was interested to know what others use.

Regards

Reply to
TMC

I use Thunderbird, which will not only "do" usenet, it will also import Outlook and OE mail accounts. I'm just not sure how successfully, as I've never used OE.

Reply to
John Williamson

Perfectly, in my experience a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Davey

Xnews. Free. Simple. Works.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Write your own (this is uk.d-i-y).

Reply to
Bob Martin

Gravity (for text groups) ditto.

Plusnet

It is actually one of those programs which is so good that I have no problem with paying the quite modest price asked in the hope the relatively small company which produces it will continue.

Reply to
Peter Parry