News to warm the hearts of most UK.D-I-Yers...

In message , at

22:03:30 on Thu, 25 Dec 2014, Capitol remarked:

It was only worth £1 two years ago. So that analysis is a bit out of date.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

14:31:01 on Thu, 25 Dec 2014, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" remarked:

The company does appear to have said that people will be paid for December.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The owner of a company with £2M debt as well as £1M assets.

Reply to
Huge

I wonder if one of the TV consumer affairs programmes would like to expose this sort of thing... you know, a TV crew films a courier walking up the path & posting the "you were out" card through the door...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Cynically --- many of their drivers are self employed and will only get paid on the invoice they send in at the end of December.

Reply to
alan_m

By September ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , at 16:37:34 on Sat, 27 Dec

2014, alan_m remarked:

A large number of companies go broke towards the end of a month (any month), when the bank eventually decides not to extend their overdraft to pay for that month's payroll. This time they seem to be saying the employees will be paid up until Dec 21st, so they aren't playing that card.

Would it have been better to struggle on until the end of January and pay the employees nothing for their work after 1/1/15?

That would happen whichever month they decided to call in the receivers.

Looking forward to the RMT ponying up the £20m a year that'll be needed to rescue the company (and how many of those self-employed drivers belong to that union).

Reply to
Roland Perry

We captured one of them on CCTV. It was a delivery for SWMBO and she made an immediate fuss (we saw the van outside). The office called the driver and made him come back.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, they said wages will be paid, only employees receive wages

I bet they hang the subbies out to dry

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , at 20:14:08 on Sat, 27 Dec 2014, tim..... remarked:

Yes, about 2700 of them and 1000 subcontractors. Judging by the news reports quite a lot of the latter actually work in clusters for small local carriers, and those orgaisations' job over the next few weeks will be redeploying themselves to Yodel etc, because the parcels still need delivering.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Assuming that there is no over-capacity in the market place.

Reply to
alan_m

Sigh. My guess is they actually deliver (near) zero. If they can't be bothered ringing my door bell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 13:55:24 on Sun, 28 Dec

2014, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Two houses ago I had my office in the downstairs hall - which was about as big as an average living room. I'd get couriers carding me despite me being sitting about three feet from the front door, and could hear the card coming though the letterbox.

The least professional was this one:

Apparently they are called UK-Mail now.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Their excuse always seems to be "I didn't think it worked".

My sister-in-law is no better. Over the summer we re-did the front door and it has a large brass bell push in the middle. So she uses the knocker.

(the house is large and a bit rambling, and the knocker isn't adequate. That's why I fitted the doorbell, which can be heard in every room because it rings the phones, and there's a phone in every room bar the bathroom.)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Popular places seem to be convenience stores and garages, both of which tend to be open a lot and have parking. I've used a few colelction services, Collect+, tesco click and collect and am always collecting stuff from our post office (our local delivery office is also the vilage post office over the road from us, so always handy :-) ) Can't say I've ever had to wait very long, the main problem is that you might get soemone who doesn't know what to do.

All I've ever needed IIRC is the order number (in an email on my phone). They say ID is required but I've never been asked for it.

I think this is certainly going to be a big growth area in the next couple of years, as people try things out and everything shakes down as people work out the best way to do things.

For us personally, being at home to get stuff isn't such a problem, and I can usually work it to be at home for when anything important might be delivered. But collection is still convenient and sometimes cheaper, though I normally use it for stuff from people like Tesco (who do Click and collect from all their stores, including the Express ones - another one we have in the village) or John Lewis.

Reply to
Chris French

It smells as fishy as Nellie the Elephants fanny.

Reply to
ARW

So we can add basic maths to the long list of things you don't understand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, most bright 5 year olds would be able to calculate the precentage of parcels being delivered against collected later from a depot and compare that to an average. But I do realise you don't have the intelligence of a bright 5 year old.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your setting your sights too high. A amoeba might be low enough.

Reply to
Capitol

One with 50% of the usual number of cells...