News to warm the hearts of most UK.D-I-Yers...

In article , Robin scribeth thus

I suspect someone will come out of the wood work and buy the whole lot for another quid..

Like they did last time IIRC?...

Make them all self employed, dump a lot of the branches and get them to adapt the hermes or parcel 2 go type model...

Reply to
tony sayer

UPS does that here - with no option for re-delivery.

And they seem to have the cards they put through the door pre-written - so quicker than waiting for the door to be answered and the parcel signed for. So they don't bother ringing the bell...

The shop they use is some way off, has poor parking, and assistants who take ages to do the 'paperwork' when you collect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually, I really do think that the politicians who derived this scheme (which was long before anyone had thought of selling off RM) genuinely thought that the resultant competition would be good for "consumers"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That's what City Link was like round heer.

Reply to
charles

Well Royal Mail and Parcel Farce are not too good around my way. Just think how bad they would be now if they hadn't had any competition?

Reply to
alan_m

I'm sure the administrators have had the Christmas lull planned as the "ideal" time to pull the shutters down for a week or two, makes it a bastard for the workforce, but sounds like it was hardly unexpected.

I don't tend to have much arrive via City Link, they've not been *un* reliable whenever I have, but I much prefer the advance notice and ease of control offered by DPD

I'm sure some of the others think they now have similar offerings but (and I'm looking at you Royal Mail) sending an email from a dont-reply email address, without any consignment number or obvious way of contacting you, to say that an item that has been crawling its way from America for a fortnight will be delivered in two hours time *after* I've already left for work doesn't help me or them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably because Christmas Day is a Quarter day when rents traditionally fall due.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I think there's space for a couple of Hermes/Yodel type services, with some suppliers you know they won't use the chuck-it-n-scarper outfits, sometimes you never know who'll be delivering, choice would be nice.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd have thought the administrators would have arranged a "pre-pack" if they thought anyone was waiting to open their wallet ... The Christmas Eve administration date smells of being planned in advance.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Might be for a range of "non-urgent" stuff, if it didn't negate the free

2-3 day delivery, as seems to happen with Amazon.
Reply to
Andy Burns

And here. Until they closed the depot several years ago.

Reply to
polygonum

I had an order from CPC 'sort-of' delivered by Citylink before Christmas.

Placed the order, had email confirmation, nothing happened for 10 days. Chased CPC - who blamed Citylink. Then CPC did some 'digging' and reckoned that they (CPC) had only consigned one of the items in the order (a dryfit battery - hazardous item & all that) - but not the battery-operated Christmas lights, or the batteries to run them. CPC couldn't get Citylink to answer the phones - so didn't know where the parcel was.

CPC were apologetic - but reckoned they'd re-send, except that all the Christmas lights were now out of stock - so would I just like the batteries ?

I told them to cancel the order - which they agreed to do. Two days later - local courier turned up with a badly bashed box containing the dryfit, the christmas lights and the batteries to run them....

Disorganised or what?

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Especially those who are subbies who, because of the season, are going to be out of pocket for a bigger unpaid invoice than they would have been any other month of the year!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That's been said so many times before that the suppliers *must" have heard it

they obviously have no interest in providing it

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I was thinking - how come only 2700 employees.

Then they interviewed a driver. He owns the van, had to pay to have it painted in their colours, and likely won't get paid for the last few weeks work. He's just another creditor, after all.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A chunk of them is owned by Amazon.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Quite - it's not new. But has happened so often with UPS here when I've been in, it must be accepted practice by their management. As they will know if something has been delivered or picked up from a shop later.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 20:38:57 on Thu, 25 Dec

2014, Brian Gaff remarked:

Because they've shifted the parcels *for* Xmas, and after that it's going to be quieter.

It's the best time to leave as few possible parcel recipients hung out to dry. And don't forget they've been losing ~£20m a year for as long as anyone can remember, so claims it's a viable business are a bit way off the mark.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:30:17 on Fri, 26 Dec

2014, tony sayer remarked:

Apparently they've been trying to sell, and failed.

Didn't they do that last time (2yrs ago).

Reply to
Roland Perry