News Individual.Net Problems

I'm willing to bet there are also not hordes of gruntled customers either, compared to Paypal.

Reply to
Froot Bat

When I hear anything against them I'll give them a wide berth

Reply to
Alang

They're often only complaining because -

b) They can't understand why Paypal and or ebay won't assign teams of private investigators to investigate their £500 claim, to find out who's the most convincing liar. Themselves or the other party. Such people are often so naive that they expect what they say to be taken on trust by third parties i.e Paypal or eBay despite their being totally unknown to them.

a) As a result in many cases Paypal, won't compensate them for losses caused solely by their own stupidity. Or greed.

I choose to use Paypal precisely because they don't have to charge excessive fees as a result of being forced to compensate whingers for their own naivety and greed.

michael adams

michael adams

I've never had a problem with PayPal, but even if you do think they're "sharp" my point was that by backing it with a credit card, it's not your money that's at risk, it's the CC company's. If you get hit by some charge that isn't legit, you raise the issue with your CC company and dispute it. I always use CCs online, and would never put my actual bank details anywhere near the internet, for that very reason.

Reply to
middlelight

That is no longer the case. Many credit card issuers will not refund PayPal transactions. Some even treat a PayPal transaction as a cash advance, and charge you a 2.5% surcharge - plus you incur interest from Day 1, not the date of your next statement.

Reply to
Bruce

Is that right? Hadn't heard of that.

Reply to
Sofa - Spud

Yes. Some even charge a flat 'cash advance' fee in addition.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Visa on Barclaycard don't and they're probably the largest single CC provider in the UK. They were also among the first. There's no annual charge, no charge for using Paypal, and zero interest payable if the outstanding balance is cleared each month. Together with a detailed monthly statement. All totally free to the user and paid for by the merchant.

If people instead choose to get ripped off by their clearly inferior competitors then whose fault is that exactly ?

michael adams

michael adams

I'm not aware of any extra charges form using Mastercard on PayPal , it has been quite a while since I used PP. All the other stuff applies as with Visa - no charge , zero interest - who doesn't pay it all off anyway?

Reply to
Sofa - Spud

It's probably the cards that give you the free carriage clock or pen when you join, or a picture of a panda on the card, that charge for Paypal.

michael adams

michael adams

That is the 2.5% I mentioned.

Reply to
Bruce

You're in the UK I presume, so even if there were "dodgy" transactions appearing on your card, unless they can prove you're liable, they have to remove them.

FWIW though, I signed up with them about 12 months ago and had no strange activity appear on my card.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I dumped Barclaycard because of their hair trigger 'fraud detection'. They declined a £50 order to CPC, despite passing larger orders for the previous two years. That's one example of several. Perhaps they were fed up with me paying it off in full every month.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. They charge a flat £3 in one case.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Who are these people I should remember to avoid?

Reply to
Clive George

You're naive because you expect Usenet to be provided for free. It is a very resource hungry, expensive service to provide.

Isn't half term over? Or are you playing truant?

Reply to
Bob Eager

But not you though. Not the user.

Who has argued that a Usenet service is free to run? Anyone? Me? Go ahead Bob, take all the time you need. Point to _one_ time I have said "Usenet services are free to run".

If you're too lazy and/or stupid to read and understand a discussion before trying to join in then it's no surprise when you end up missing the point so comprehensively. That point, despite how much you want to argue about something that nobody even said, is that Usenet has always been free _at_the_point_of_use_ (as Sam Nelson puts it).

Yep, I've no doubt your employer invented the internet and sold it to "the UK" too. Anything else?

Reply to
Froot Bat

And of course it's not free. If an ISP provides it, the cost is rolled into the subscription. And that's why ISPs are dropping it...it affects the price people pay and the market has become too competitive.

You can choose not to believe it if you wish.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed. However, if those who have paid in the past choose no longer to do so, or the prevailing economic climate makes this untenable, times may change. It *happens* that it has always been free at the point of use (and long may it continue) but there is no "given" law that says that's how it should be. It's an economic question, not a moral one.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Okay give me a point in history where people had to pay to use it. Ie, where it was not free. You may include today if you're so confident that it's not free.

Depends on your definition of "very" and "expensive" and what you're doing with the server. But it's irrelevant anyway, because you still seem to be under the delusion that if something is expensive to run then it cannot be provided to people for free.

On the contrary, most (if not all) of the top 100 websites (as ranked by Alexa) are free to use, and they are orders of magnitude more expensive and resource hungry than a non-binary Usenet server.

You not only have no idea how Usenet works, you simply have no idea how business works either, do you?

Some might say you're naive to the point of absurdity.

Try and stick to the point, Bob, if you ever stumble across one. I doubt even you're impressed at such lame would-be insults.

Reply to
Froot Bat