Newly-built house - standard bulb holder in bathroom ceilings?!

Some friends have bought a newly-built house and all three bathrooms have light fittings consisting of an uncovered bulb attached to the ceiling.

I've tested it and in each bathroom I can stand in the bath or shower and touch the bulb - surely this is not legal??

Reply to
Murmansk69

Think it is.

The expectation being that any sane homeowner will immediately change the £2 piece of shit for a nice ditzy £300 luminaire etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course it is! you're six inches higher when stood in the bath, you should be able to reach most of the ceiling, where else are they expected to put the light fitting?

If it's the 'uncovered' part that is bothering you, it's not up to housebuilders to provide lampshades.

Reply to
Phil L

Does

you?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So you don't think when you purchase a 'product it should be safe to use as purchased? Interesting, I suppose we should scrap all thoughts of Consumer Protection Legislation.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

As far as I was aware, if a fitting can be reached from within the bathtub, then it's in a different Zone with different regs - the pdf file someone else posted seems to bear this out.

In the same place, but making sure it is of the appropriate, legal IP rating for its location?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not reach but within certain distances vertically and horizontally from the bath and/or shower and/or basin.

Dave Liquorice

On 10 Oct 2006 10:59:45 -0700 someone who may be "Murmansk69" wrote this:-

A bulb attached to the ceiling? Presumably you mean the bulbs are inserted into some sort of fitting which is attached to the ceiling.

Whether this complies with the regulations depends on what sort of fitting it is and where it is located. More information on both is needed, together with how the circuit powering the light is wired.

Reply to
David Hansen

Consumer protection legislation doesn't apply to houses.

Anyway, the lampholder should have a "Home Office" skirt.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

THREE bathrooms ?............Oooooooooooooh.lol

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Owain contains these words:

So Blunkett can touch it up?

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Edward W. Thompson saying something like:

Only a mental defective is going to stick their fingers in the holder while in the shower.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

How about accidental contact with the exposed parts of a broken bulb. Not as unlikely as you might think as a slip might result in a flailing arm breaking the bulb.

Reply to
fred

Yeah, that's the first thing eveyone does when falling over - try to grab the ceiling.

Reply to
Phil L

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

Out of interest, what actually happens to you if you eat silica gel? It's non toxic unless tinged with cobalt chloride moisture indicator - which wouldn't make a lot of sense inside a white paper bag.

Reply to
Guy King

Bugger!!

I have been saving them up for a peckish period.

Now you have spoiled it. :((

Reply to
EricP