Newer cheaper CFLs don't seem to last

I bought a couple of Philips 18W CFLS for I think £3 each last August in Homebase. plugged one in on the 22/08/08 and it failed today.. Plugged the other in and it failed almost immediately.. both boxes say 10 years!!!

I have other CFLs that cost about £9 each about ten years ago and they are still burning I might take these two back to Homebase but I'm not sure if I still have the receipt.. Could be a bad batch..

Anyone else had similar experiences with these cheaper lamps?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Shergold

Read the box more carefully If a GLS lamp says 3000 hrs you expect to get, on average

3000hrs of light

If a CFL (like the Tesco one I have here) says "lasts 8 years" but in smaller print, and in no way referenced to the 8 years, it says "Average use of 2.7 hours a day" then, unless the lifetime "clock" stops when it is turned off this is totally misleading.

Reply to
Graham.

Lasts 8 years in the box.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

As is the eco-bollox green mist brigade credo behind the whole concept ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

CFLs are fantastic ...

... for politicians who want to be seen to be doing something about climate change, when the reality is that they are doing nothing.

Reply to
Bruce

But they are doing something. They have engineered a massive recession which is the best thing by far for the environment.

Reply to
Mark

Interesting point of view. I saw a similar idea being voiced a few days ago, as it being a very convenient way of reducing eastern bloc imigration to the country - and indeed reversing it - without the government standing up and saying "shoot me" by introducing measures with the deliberate intention of 'controlling' the problem.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily