Newbie needs advice on hot water cylinders

Duh! I do like a brain fart now and again.

I'm so used to having a potable hot water system that I forget the majority aren't!

However, I still don't use it for anything coming out of a tap. Think of the childruuun...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Even so, surely the potable water in your system is seperate from the stored mass of water that is heated by the immersion?

Reply to
Richard Conway

Yes indeed, it is just that I'm used to the DHW itself being potable and it just slipped my mind that the mass in a conventional cylinder is DHW, but not potable. I'd probably prefer to avoid Boss White anyway, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Pen pushers, innit.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If you can wash in it then it is potable.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It means 'drinkable'. Now you may be happy to drink hot water - others have more taste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can wash in the Ganges; I wouldn't recommend drinking it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Potable water is any water you drink or wash with. Water is that stuff they use to wipe you down with.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You don't know much about this point do you?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So very wrong - potable means drinkable, nothing else.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Christian,

I did ring the local authority and the building inspector there informed me that changing a hot water cylinder does not fall with in the requirements to be inspected / notified, as, in my case it was / is classed as maintenance, as was / is the replacement of the controller and thermostats (room and HW).

With regards to the energy efficiency, he commented that unless buying second hand, all new tanks from reputable suppliers will be compliant with the new regulations.

Based on this information, and after a good days work the cylinder and new ballcock valve in the feed/expansion tank has been fitted and I have no major leaks, and just one small dribble from a compression joint which I'll sort out in the morning.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Not in water system terms it doesn't. Primary and secondary water. Secondary is potable, yet may be used to wash with, and you can put it in your mouth to brush your teeth and even swallow the odd bit here and there.

You can't do that with primary water.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I ken s**te when I smell it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You better tell the OED then Dribble. They obviously know less about big words than you.

Reply to
Matt

| > > It means 'drinkable'. | > | > Potable water is any water you drink or wash with. Water is that stuff they | > use to wipe you down with. | > | So very wrong - potable means drinkable, nothing else.

Enter define potable into google/

of potable on the Web:

suitable for drinking santa-monica.org/epd/scp/glossary.htm

Water that is safe to drink.

In reference to water is that "potable" means it is drinkable water. Water that is suitable for human consumption.

water safe for drinking

Water suitable for human consumption. sjr.state.fl.us/programs/outreach/conservation/landscape/glossary.html

plus another 10 the same

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Don't you have access to a dictionary?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're making things up again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OED potable: drinkable. from latin potabilis, french potable = drink

It has a secondary meaning of quality - as in best quality of water.

You provide me with secondary water when I ask for potable and I'll sue.

Reply to
John Cartmell

What is he on about?

Reply to