new window opening in ensuite bathroom

I wish to create a new window in what will be an ensuite bathroom in a bedroom. Walls are solid 9". The window will overlook a 4 foot passage between me and next house. There are currently no windows in this wall or next door's facing wall. Window probably 620 x 1050mm.

  1. What type of lintel required in solid wall ? - I only know about cavity walls.
  2. What building regs required for new window opening ?
  3. Any gotchas to watch out for ? Cheers, Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Do you need planning permission?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I would think so. It seems like a lot of hassle to overlook a brick wall for a bathroom. I'd think you'd be better off with an air vent plus some nice lighting.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Speak to your local building control department. You'll need to submit a building control application for starters.

I've done the same. I had no problems in getting permission to do it but was told the windows had to be less than 1m sq (which in your case is fine anyway). The BC officer will probably be able to advise on required lintel as well. I used a strong boy to keep the above courses in place but other than that it was pretty straightforward, although a pain in that the brick courses were not straight, so almost every brick down the side had to be removed.

My side passageway is similar in width and the amount of light coming in isn't great, so keep that in mind. Personally, for an ensuite (where privacy isn't a priority), I'd advise you use an opaque glass paned door to bring light into the room rather than make a new opening.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

If it was the only bathroom I'd say a window was worth it, but as its an ensuite i woudn't bother with it imo.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

It's just nice to have a mirror and natural lighting over the sink. Also, its a lot less claustrophobic to be able to have a window open for ventilation instead of just an extractor fan. Ensuites can be dingy. You say the light coming in isn't great, but how dark is it ? Another option might be a skylight via the loft or a sunpipe (DIY of course !). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I did this for exactly the same size of window and used a 900mm steel lintel called ( I think) an L9 from Jewsons. It's like an inverted T and it slots into the upper courses. Worked very well and is pretty straighforward to install

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

It's hard to say about the light. It also depends a lot on how much coverage you have either end of the alley and the height of the window compared to the roofline. I agree, you can't beat natural light. But like I say, you could still get natural light through a glass paned door or even with glass blocks in the ensuite wall - even better if you haven't made the ensuite walls yet.

My window was for a stairwell area where there was bugger all light and it made the house very gloomy. That area is a pretty important part of the house as people will trapes through it all day. A main bathroom also would be important but an en-suite I would say is always a compromise. If you're selling or renting out it will make little difference. If you're living in it and you really believe it will make the difference then go for it.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Probably a Catnic CNZ94C (see

but I'm not an expert/structural engineer/BCO so don't take my word for it! The Catnic "Lintel Technical Guide" is a worthwhile acquisition; request it from their site.

They'll need to see you've got the correct lintel; installed it properly (including solid 6" piers on both sides); made the opening the correct height and that the window itself conforms to regs in terms of glass type, openabilty, insulation etc

Worth enquiring locally whether planning permission is required but sounds highly unlikely if it's just overlooking a passageway (unless you're Grade I listed or something?!)

In this situation, as mentioned elsewhere, I'd also consider the possibility of fitting a Velux window in the roof immediately above the bathroom, and cutting through the ceiling to let the light through down a vertical tunnel - works very well.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would not have thought so (I did not when I installed a new landing window facing a neighbours wall in a similar circumstance).

You will need a building notice however since you are altering a load bearing wall, and fitting windows comes under part L of the building regs

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends if he said a metre square or a square metre - 1.05m makes it more than a metre on a side, so bigger than a metre square in one dimension.

Reply to
Rob Morley