New wiki article (nearly) - Electronics repair

As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair, hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , John Rumm writes

Nice job and good youtube finds, the re-balling guy looks as if he has done one or two before ;-). It looks like hard work for the money though.

The SM IC soldering vid was excellent too.

Nothing to add just yet.

The lack of thermal reliefs on power plane connection to smps caps has always hacked me off, I don't believe it makes a significant difference to the impedance of the connection to the lead.

Reply to
fred

Have a look at the CuriousInventor ones - particularly those on soldering:

Bob Eager

Reply to
John Rumm

Just one point, the biggest cause of failures by far is bad connections. That subject alone could take up a whole article.

I also think its good to acknowledge that one single article on repairs is inevitably going to be far short of covering the topic, no matter how excellent the article, and can probably only usefully cover things doable by people with very little electronic skill, which probably covers 98% of diyers. Unless we're going to write an array of electronic repair articles, people with skill on the topic will already find far more advice elsewhere.

NT

Reply to
NT

That's a good one, but some of the other soldering ones I found interesting...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well if it turns out to be useful, no harm in splitting it into more as the need develops.

That's fair enough, but even at that level there is plenty of stuff that can be repaired.

Partly why I thought something with a more practical theme, with an intro (partly done), and then walkthroughs for various repairs to give a flavour of the approach and techniques.

(Just added one, for fixes to the PSUs on a couple of network switches)

Reply to
John Rumm