New wiki article: Custom with rebates and dados with a router

Illustration of one of the many ways of cutting a rebate or dado to a exact size:

adopt improve as you fancy!

Reply to
John Rumm

Harry,

It's also a woodwork joint - see

Cash

Indeed. But I didn't know that until I looked it up. My first reaction was to think "What the hell has that got to do with dados?"

In view of my - and apparently other people's - ignorance of the joinery use of the word 'dado' to mean slot or rebate, I wonder whether there's a more British word that could be used instead to make it more readily understood.

One other minor comment . . The caption on the first picture says "Start by cutting marking . . " Is that what was intended?

Reply to
Roger Mills

ok, renamed it to:

(old link will redirect)

Na that was me getting ahead of myself! Ta, fixed.

Reply to
John Rumm

Instructions that came with my Bosch router said that where possible you should always cut in the direction of bit rotation (ie in the direction to which the cutting edge is pointing). Helps to reduce friction and burning, and also risk of snagging and chattering.

Having said that, on a corner you might want to go backwards towards the corner, just to reduce the risk of splintering as the bit first bites.

Reply to
DavidM