new wall, not load-bearing, foundations?

I am thinking of building a block wall adjacent to the party wall to reduce noise from next-door. It's a standard victorian terraced house.

Can anyone tell me whether I need a trench foundation or not? If I can bui ld it directly on the earth under the house (like the existing party wall) then it is straightforward. But if I have to trench then I will need to un derpin the party wall and that is a show-stopper.

Please can anyone tell me if I must have a trench foundation for a non-load bearing internal wall?

thank you,

Robert

PS In case anyone is interested in the sound-proofing aspects: I have alre ady built stud walls (two in fact, one in front of the other) in each of th e alcoves (100mm rockwool, 3x2 studs not in contact with party wall, 3 laye r plasterboard) and these make a big difference, but not quite enough. I n ow want to add a complete free-standing block wall [with 100mm rockwool in the void] that encloses the fireplace as well as all the existing soundproo fing. the sound source is next-door's piano which is placed up against the party wall.

Reply to
RobertL

don't fill with rockwool. Fill with sand. Or nothing.

going down to the earth is also advisable in terms of eliminating air gaps underneath

I can't see why you would need to underpin exactly. Just dig a trench bit by bit and fill with concrete as you go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sand would remove the impedance contract surely.

The problem with excavating is that I would then need party wall agreements etc etc which is a pain in the neck. Also, with just a simple 150mm concrete strip, I can lay it without taking most of the floor up.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

ce noise from next-door. It's a standard victorian terraced house.

uild it directly on the earth under the house (like the existing party wall ) then it is straightforward. But if I have to trench then I will need to underpin the party wall and that is a show-stopper.

adbearing internal wall?

ready built stud walls (two in fact, one in front of the other) in each of the alcoves (100mm rockwool, 3x2 studs not in contact with party wall, 3 la yer plasterboard) and these make a big difference, but not quite enough. I now want to add a complete free-standing block wall [with 100mm rockwool i n the void] that encloses the fireplace as well as all the existing soundpr oofing. the sound source is next-door's piano which is placed up against th e party wall.

We live in aold mill none of the internal walls are load-bearing. there wer e some heavy block built internal walls made in 1950 when it was turned int o a residence. We wanted to remove some and build some others with light bl ocks and then cement render them against flooding. The Building inspector s aid we had to either provide foundations down to the depth of the external walls or get an engineer to prove that the concrete floor (put down in 1950 ) could take the weight.

our builder went down over five feet and couln't find the bottom of the fou ndations. This was a relief, we are built over the mill stream. So we ended up with plaster board walls which will have probelems if we ever flood. If we do I shall replace the walls with blocks as orifginally planned.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

ere some heavy block built internal walls made in 1950 when it was turned i nto a residence. We wanted to remove some and build some others with light blocks and then cement render them against flooding. The Building inspector said we had to either provide foundations down to the depth of the externa l walls or get an engineer to prove that the concrete floor (put down in 19

50) could take the weight.

What an interesting home. In my case it is easy to find the bottom of the party and external walls; they simply stand on the earth. the footings of the party walls are not covered inside the house.

RObert

Reply to
RobertL

ce noise from next-door. It's a standard victorian terraced house.

uild it directly on the earth under the house (like the existing party wall ) then it is straightforward. But if I have to trench then I will need to underpin the party wall and that is a show-stopper.

adbearing internal wall?

ready built stud walls (two in fact, one in front of the other) in each of the alcoves (100mm rockwool, 3x2 studs not in contact with party wall, 3 la yer plasterboard) and these make a big difference, but not quite enough. I now want to add a complete free-standing block wall [with 100mm rockwool i n the void] that encloses the fireplace as well as all the existing soundpr oofing. the sound source is next-door's piano which is placed up against th e party wall.

In case its of interest there's an awful lot more effective options than th at for framed walls.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/In case its of interest there's an awful lot more effective options than that for framed walls.

NT /q

Gorra link?

Jim K

Reply to